Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 -- SIP trunk to 3CX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianMSDist

MIS
Apr 3, 2011
GB
Hi All,

Long time, no see :) I guess that means the BCM450 has been working well [thumbsup2]

I'm attempting to connect the BCM450 to a 3Cx instance using SIP trunking Private.

The 3Cx is live on the BCM, and I'm showing it as registered, at one point an extension from the 3Cx could call my extension, but alas no more, in playing to attempt to resolve the issue we managed to break that bit and it no longer works.

Whatever I try the best I can get is 'No route to destination' in trying to dial an extension on the 3Cx.

Any pointers/help would be much appreciated please.

You will need to check everything it takes to get a call out.

Start the troubleshooting on page 57 of the Troubleshooting Guide.
Note that images for items 3 and 4 are reversed in error.

Other ways to troubleshoot some issue with dialing out
-Use the ping utility to check the BCM see's the 3Cx
-Check Alarms
-Use Monitor to assist with troubleshooting

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I can say it is possible because I have done it.
Not really a 100% solution as you cannot really get all the caller ID info to pass back and forth when transferring a caller but we are doing this to ease transitioning from old system to new so that we do not need to do a hard cut over.

So in my example I have the 3cx and BCM450 r6 on the same network.
The firewall has been setup to route a different public IP for each system so that I do not need to fiddle with strange port forwarding rules to avoid conflicting SIP and UDP port ranges. Since I have inbound and outbound SIP trunks for both systems I wanted to maintain the ability of each system to make and receive calls. if you had only PRI trunks on the Nortel you probably wouldn't have to worry about that issue.

So your 2 main areas you need to configure on the Nortel side will be in Resources->IP Trunks->SIP trunking, Telephony->Dialing Plan->Routing
And then I made a bunch of target lines for each extension with a pub received number using a prefix+extension number format so I could route calls from 3cx back into the Nortel

So to start with I have 8xxx as the extension numbers on the Nortel and 5xxx as extension numbers on the 3cx.

Now I guess the first place to start is with the SIP trunk settings.
On 3cx I created a new generic SIP trunk
Gateway hostname or IP is the IP of the Nortel, port is 5060
Authentication is Do not require - IP Based
Under DIDs I made a big list of DID numbers with all the extension numbers on the 3cx system so 5000, 5001, 5002, 5003, etc. Every last extension on 3cx was a DID on this trunk so that when 3cx gets the inbound call the number matches a DID on this trunk.
On each extension the individual extension is assigned as DID from that trunk.
So now if 3cx sees inbound calls for that number it sends that call to the extension where it is assigned as a DID. This will automatically create inbound rules for each did to route to that extension and can be seen in inbound rules section.
For outbound rules on 3cx. I made a rule where if the number dialled starts with 8 and is 4 digits long it will use the BCM450 trunk and prepend 123 to the number. (These will match with the BCM target lines I create and assign to each BCM extension) I suppose these extra digits may not be required, but I had some existing target line settings I didn't want to go "fix" to make this work.

So on both sides of the connection I have some manual things to do on each extension to make things work.
DID numbers added to the trunk on 3cx and then going to each extension on 3cx and adding this DID to the extension so it will ring the extension instead of going to the default destination of that trunk.
On the BCM side I have to make target lines for each extension with the extension and prefix number assigned to each extension to ring.

So on SIP trunking in the BCM side:
I created a private trunk.
Named 3cx, destination digits is 5 domain is the 3cx assigned URL, IP address is the internal IP of the 3cx server, port 5060, gateway type is Other, MCDN is none. Authentication was not enabled (do not check sip registration on the account and leave everything default/blank)
Under URI map I removed e.164 / National and Private / Subscriber to keep it from sending the goofy Nortel proprietary format call display format headers.

For dialing plan, Routing, Destination codes
I created 50, 51, 52, 53 as destination codes as my extension numbers only go 50xx,51xx, 52xx, or 53xx (I don't have a huge number, there are just a few extension numbers in each block that kind of matched an extension number that person historically had maintained over many years. Set the route to The private DN type route table entry for the SIP BlocC pool in my case that is route number 2 in my route table.

So when someone dials a 50xx, 51xx, 52xx, 53xx number it routes to route for BlockC private, And The SIP under Active VOIP lines is assigned to pool:blockc, 5 is the SIP private destination digit for this sip trunk which should send the call out that path.
On the other side 3cx gets the call and sees that the inbound digits match one of the DID numbers I manually added and it sends the call to that extension because i manually assigned that DID number to that extension otherwise it would go to the generic destination (IVR in my case) of the trunk.

On the flip side on 3cx if someone dials a number starting with 8 and is 4 digits long it makes outbound call on the BCM450 trunk, it prepends 123 to the number so dialling extension 8023 for example results in a call to 1238023 @ IP of BCM450. The BCM450 matches this digit to the target line, that target line is assigned to the extension of 8023 to ring so that extension will now ring for that inbound call from 3cx.

Now call display details are a little off. It doesn't show the external caller details if a call is transferred from the Nortel system, it shows the internal extension so you are not sure if you are getting an internal call or external call when you see your 3cx extension is ringing. But at least it works and I did not have to swap over the entire company to the new system in a single day this way.

Hope that helps, it's not a complete A-->Z walkthrough, but if you understand the two systems it should get you close to figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back