Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bcm450 R6 with CEC card, maximum number of Digital sets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gberger

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
CA

Avaya/Nortel official document state that you can connect up to 300 Digital sets but the maximum number of DSM32+ i can configure is 7 for a total of 224 digitals.
No matter if i put a DSM32+ or a PRI module in expansion 1-5 or 1-6, when i configure them it does not give me dip switch settings.(it show blank)

Any ideas?

Thanks

I found this bit:
Total stations/trunks of any type not to exceed 300/130.

Do you have Analog or IP sets as well or just digital?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Just digital sets and no matter what module i program in expansion cabinet slot 1-5,1-6 the dip switch setting field comes out blank so it looks like if i can only assign 8 modules max which makes no sense to me...

I thought the CEC card only applied to IP Trunks, Professional Call Recording, Meet Me and Unified Messaging Client Seats?.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

BTW When you see "Supports up to 300 Digital Sets" or ""Supports up to 300 Stations" I think it means either or depending on what other resources are installed.

I thought the CEC will add resources only if needed but does not block or allow you from adding devices or am I wrong?

CEC
BCM400 - BCM450 - BCM450w/CEC
IP Stations 90 100 300
Digital Stations 192 100 300
Analog Stations 48 48 48
H.323 or SIP Trunks 60 48 130
T1 Digital Trunks 72 48 130
E1 Digital Trunks 90 60 130
Analog Trunks 80 60 130
T1 Interfaces 3 2 6**
E1 Interfaces 3 2 5**
BRI Loops 4 16 16
Conference Ports 40 60 120
Voicemail Hrs 200 400 400
UM Seats 200 300 300
Fax Ports 2 4 8
Expansion Cabinet 1 1 1
MBMs 4 / 10* 4/ 10* 4/ 10*
FEMS 1 1 1

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

From what I remember the CEC is required when going over 100 stations or 48 trunks. Obviously you've got many more than 100 stations so you must have found the hard resource limit. It's kind of like the BCM50 where the book says the digital set limit is 44, but will still let you add more, although resources would be strained.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

There is only 8 BUS modules.

Don't forget there may be more expansion slots on the expansion chassis, buts some modules can use 3 cards in the same bus .

Isdn2 cards can have 3 cards on the same bus depending on the dip switch settings.

I think that only applies to the BCM400. With the BCM450 slots are assigned to each MBM. I've been searching for a definitive answer, but no luck yet. My guess would be that the CEC would add resources to open up the rest of the slots on the expansion cabinet. Still looking.

Update: I did find a Nortel chart that says the max limit for digital extensions is 300 with a CEC installed.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

That's what I have in above chart too but is there a clause because it also says 300 IP sets....that means 600 sets.

I think Firebird is more on the right path but voicemail and conferencing as well.

GB some screen shots of resources might help.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I think the problem is in your telephony resources. The system comes default with a mix of IP and Digital. It's been quite a few years since I have worked on BCM but I think your problem lays there.

Snowman50, i don't know where you got the information about 8 bus for modules but it makes sense to me as using double density modules like DSM32+ and DTM on my bcm makes it full, i cannot add any more modules.

So 300 digital sets maximum is not correct and should be a combination of digital and IP sets to a maximum of 300 sets.

Anyway how can you get 300 digital sets when the modules comes as 16 or 32? 9 x 32= 288 +16(let's say) makes 304 sets...!

Guess will have to add IP phones.

Thanks everyone

I thought the same above..

"GB will the system let you program 7 X 32+ (1 in main cabinet and 6 in expansion) and 1 FEM in the main cabinet?"

My thought at the time was that it is just hardware, not physical or 0X16's plugged and wondered if that config would work if ports over 300 but only 300 sets plugged in but probably stupid of me to think that.

Maybe indeed to go with 288 Digitals sets with 12 IP sets
DSM 6 X 32 = 192
FEM 6 X 16 = 96
GrandTotal = 288

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

You're probably right in spite of what the docs say. The system is obviously bumping against its upper limits. Might consider tying 2 systems together on site with a couple of DTM's or IP trunks. Programming will get a bit more complex, but I don't see any other way to get there.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Some info from my old course books.

The main unit of the BCM450 system supports 100 phone stations, 48 trunks
(with the exception of E1 trunks which support two DTM media Bay Modules
providing a total of 60 E1 trunks), 2 fax ports, 300 Unified Messaging Seats
and 64 conference ports.
When installed, the Capacity Expansion Card (CEC) increases the media
processing capacity on the BCM450 so that it can support up to 300 stations
and 130 trunks. It also provides an increase in the BCM’s application capacity

The BCM450 main unit can support up to 4 MBM’s, whilst the expansion unit
can support up to 6 MBM’s. Therefore, a maximum of 10 MBM’s can be
supported on the BCM450.
Further extension/line expansion can be achieved by using the Fibre
Expansion Module to connect up to 6 legacy Norstar Expansion Modules.
However, the BCM450 maximum capacity limits of 300 extensions and 130
trunks (with Capacity Expansion Card) still apply.

Media Bay Modules are installed in the BCM450 main and expansion units.
The BCM450 does not auto-detect the MBM type, and therefore configuration
has to take place
BCM450 introduces the Dynamic Device Configuration feature, whereby
extension (station) and line numbers can be dynamically configured per MBM.
Therefore, extension and line numbers are not defined by location allocation
within Telephony Resources, as was the case with the BCM200 and BCM400
platforms. Default extension and line numbers exist, but these can be
changed as required.
Telephony Resource allocation is determined differently depending on
whether or not MBM’s will be installed in the BCM450 main unit or the
expansion unit (if utilising):
• Main Unit: There are 4 Media Bays available, termed MBM1, MBM2,
MBM3, and MBM4. Physical location determines the Telephony
Resources location.
• Expansion Unit: There are 6 Media Bays available. Dipswitch
configuration determines the Telephony Resources location. MBM’s
can be installed in any bay in the expansion unit.
Rules concerning MBM locations are greatly simplified resulting in greater
flexibility. Listed below are rules governing the MBM location:
• If you are installing a DSM32(+) insert it into MBM slot 1, as this is preconfigured
in Telephony Resources.
• FEM modules can only be installed into the main unit.

Are you going through this because you have a customer that needs it or is it simply an academic exercise?

If you have a need for 300+ digital extensions and you want to continue with the Nortel technology, you might want to have a closer look at the Emetrotel solution. You can have 320 digital stations in the BCM450 (once converted to a Digital Gateway via a hard drive replacement) and using an emetrotel UCX450, you can have 450 users on a single server and 320 digital stations per digital gateway (you can get much larger servers that can go to 3000+ users). Not to mention all the other stuff you get with one of these systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back