Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 & 50 Trunked, VPN IP Phone Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaney

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2005
CA
I could really use some tips or technical ideas on this one. I'm currently waiting for our service provider to come up with answers on this but so far they have no idea.

Here's the basics of our setup:

Site #1: BCM450 & Linksys RV082 VPN Gateway
- Local digital handsets
- 1 IP handset via private VPN link
- Trunked on MPLS to BCM50

Site #2: BCM50
- Local digital handsets
- Trunked on MPLS to BCM450

Site #3: No BCM
- 17 IP handsets connected via MPLS to BCM450 @ Site #1

Site #4: BSR222
- 1 IP handset connected via dedicated DSL line to Linksys RV082 VPN gateway at Site #1

Almost everything is working fine except for one major problem. At Site #4 the IP handset can call any extension at Site #1 and Site #3 without trouble, but any calls to/from Site #2 won't connect. When anyone at Site #2 try to call the extension at Site #4, the call rings 5 times then gets forwarded to another extension (which is set up to do if no answer), but the IP phone at Site #4 never rings.

Are there any limitations on how the VPN linked phone can communicate to the BCM50 over the trunk? The only issue I can see is that the BCM50 cannot talk directly to the IP phone on the VPN link, but can to all the IP phones on MPLS. Does the BCM50 need to be able to directly communicate with each IP phone, or should the BCM450 handle this since that is where the IP phone is connected?

My apologies for the long post, I just wanted to make sure I gave as much detail as I could!

Thanks!

Have you tried BCM Monitor on BCM50 to see if any digits passing through coming to/from site#4? Please read BSR222 or BCM50e Configuration Guide NN48500-508 which will give you sample designs for BSR222.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back