Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 Card Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndr99

Programmer
Jun 5, 2016
CA

So here's some exciting news:

I got tired of worrying about IDE hard drive in the BCM400 failing, going corrupt, etc. They are getting hard to find anyway. Thought about SSD drives, but I don't believe that they are entirely reliable yet, and besides, I'm not sure i wanted the cost to find out it didn't work. Stumbled upon this on the internet:

3.5 IDE Hard Disk Drive Adapter Converter Card

It plugs right into the IDE cable, and has a socket for either an FDD or HDD power cable to plug into. Well I transferred my BCM3.7 software onto a 32G brand name high-speed SD card, and hey - it works!

It has power, activity and card detect LEDS...and its working great. A little modification to a PCI slot blank, and now you can change the "hard drive" without taking the case apart.

I'm going to run it for awhile and see how it fares...SD cards are so much cheaper for replacement!

Cheaper is right, even normal drives too.

There are a number of post's here mentioning the names of SSD's that work.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Hey thanks Curly - saw the SSD posts - but didn't find any about SD Cards - so if anyone has tried these and found issues, let me know!

Sorry I read wrong.

SD and SSD are much alike except that I think SD is now faster than SSD where it was the opposite one time.
SSD maybe out the door soon.

I guess the good thing about the SD working is the small size (in GIGs) so that it can be recognized/used.
Curious as to how high and which SD type cards will work.

Whats re the full details of you SD card you used?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Hey, no worries! I used a Sandisk Ultra SDHC 32GB: 80MB/s.

I find it seems to backup and reboot a little bit faster than before, but the voicemail takes longer to come back after a restart...but that could just be me - I have not actually timed it! There is no noticeable difference in performance otherwise.

It is plugged into a "SD To 3.5" 40Pin Male IDE Hard Disk Drive Adapter Converter Card 3.5 IDE Module"
Details:
*SD to 3.5inch 40Pin male IDE Module converts Secure Digital Card into IDE compatible hard drives.
*Support PIO, Multi-Word DMA and Ultra DMA data transfer mode.
*Can install the OS onto the SD Card.
*SD socket support up to 128GB SD Card(Card is Not included)
*Compatible with MMC system specification 2.0.
*High data transmission rate.
*Support DOS, Linux, Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP and Vista system.
*Dimension:8*6.8cm(Approx.)
*Connector:1*40Pin Male IDE port, 1* SD card slot, 1*4Pin power supply port

oh yeah - BTW, the SD card cost me $23.99 and the adapter was US$9.27 with free shipping...LOL

No tariff - under $20 from China lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back