Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 3.7 backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

souphmars

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
US
how do u do it? when i try to back it up, it says that the destination location is typed in wrong, i do it exactly the way it says to. what is the deal? i am trying to back it up to my laptop.

create a shared folder on your pc. enter the remote location in this syntax: \\w.x.y.x\sharename. w.x.y.z would be the IP of your laptop. sharename would be the name of the share. make sure you full control permissions to the share. the username and password you use for the backup job is the same username and password you use to log onto your laptop. include a domain name if necessary.

i dont use a user id or pw to log into my laptop- so do i have to worry about it?

Create a user account just for this purpose - you can just call it "bcmbackup" or something like that, give it a password, and then give that account full control to the shared folder under the security tab. Also, in the sharing tab, give "full control" share access to the Everyone group. All of this assumes you are using Windows on a NTFS partition.

i will try all this - i dont know why it is so difficult on the 3.7. on the 4.0 it is way easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back