Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM VOIP Trunk capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
Here is a simple question, how many calls can a VOPI trunk handle at once ? I am planning for a capacity of about 50 phones on two sites. How many trunks do I need ?

One call per trunk, assuming your using VoIP tie trunks between the two buildings.
Lot's of variables to estimating the number of trunks you will need. What line of business are you in? 25 phones per site? Centralized voice mail? How much traffic do you expect between the two sites? How much bandwidth do you have between the two sites? Are your data switches compatible with IP Telephony?
Not such a simple question......

You will need 1 VOIP Keycode for each call you want to make at the same time.

ie: if your only going to make 1 call at a time you will only need 1 VOIIP trunk, if you going to make 50 calls at the same time, you will need 50 VOIP Keycodes.

Also you might have a QOS problem if you don't have enough bandwith on your T1.

Thanks for the quick response, that is what I thought, one call per trunk. This is a tricky one, as we are trunking over a satellite connection, (though it is a private link), my instinct is not to do centralized voicemail, as the data link is limited. QOS on the routers will be turned on. As this is a seasonal operation, the customer wants the summer season phones on the mainland forwarded to the dns on the remote site, with this config, I would assume that local voicemail on the remote site is the best way to go? The system,s are BCM 400's 3.7.

QOS on the routers won't help VOIP, you'll need to turn on QOS in the BCM. I would use the Vmail on the local BCM.

Thanks again for the advice, a great resource this forum. I know that qos needs to be turned on the bcm, but I thought that it also needs to be on the routers to prioritize the voip packets? I an IT guy with some BCM experience and assisted on 1 install with trunking BCM's and centralized voicemail, which I have to refer to as well as studying the manuals for this one. However, I am still getting used to the telephone paradigms. A FAQ on BCM trunking would be most helpful to us newer folks especially coming from the it world. The FAQ on centralized voicemail was excellent.

QOS is definitely needed on the routers. If the routers aren't configured for QOS, what gets sent to them by the BCM or other network gear is irrelavant. The only exception to that rule would be if you're using a WAN card in the BCM, and using your BCM as a router.

You also need to have QoS turned on on every device (switch) between the BCM and router, otherwise it's a moot point.

QOS is needed on ANY device between the two IPs ( source & destination), else is moot . You might be able to get away without QOS if you have a strong MPLS back bone that can act like a P2P pipe or you just dedicate the pipe for VOIP only if you can afford it.

Sattelite connection ? you're gonna get a handful.Please let me know your geographic locations, equipment, gear setup, ISP provider that you use which can conquer the latency and voice echo issue.
We've no luck linking US & India & Singapore with BT as provider for sattelite with VOIP - Transatlantic cable is much better IMHO.

QOS is needed, but don't forget to program an alternate route to use when QOS detects that the Voip is in the dump.

Satelite wont work. Latency is WAAAAAAAAY too high on average.

I have to agree with MagnaRGP, I'm assuming you're using a geostationary satellite with an approximate roundtrip of 500ms. You're latency is going to be way to high to make this work.

I have latency of about 1200 ms on a round trip ping, plus right now an ip phones seems to be working ok, I would expect to utilize one of the lesser codecs to keep the packets smaller. Any other thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back