Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmention

Vendor
Jan 20, 2003
US
Have a BCM 400 3.7 system voicemail is not responding (inactive feature and AA not working). All my phones are up but cannot access Unified Manager also by LAN or serial. Wondering what could have gone bad and options to repair. I do have a backup. btw i think it was originally 3.5 upgraded to 3.7

Right off the bat, it sounds like a hard drive problem.

or could be the base function tray problem (if it was upgraded from 3.5)

Pull the BFT out and look at the capacitors to see if they are Green and if they are look to see if they are leaking. If they are Blue, then you have another problem. I have had to replace about 20 BFT's so far and 1 Hard drive.

thanx for suggestions. HD led not coming on even after reset so it could be that.

That can also becaused by the BFT. Are all the LED's flashing.

Usually if it has the bad/leaking caps you'll get spontaneous and random reboots

A ship in the harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

That is not always the case. I have seen it where the VM just goes down and never recovers. There was no symptoms other than that.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Put a monitor on the bcm and power it up, if you find boot error messages it is probably the BFT or worse the IDE controller. If you get no OS found the hard disk needs to be replaced or re-imaged.

Have a similar scenario on a 3.5 upgraded to 3.6.

Voicemail and IP handsets went down, led's flashing. Rebooting did not help. Changed out the BFT and still the same. The led for the hard disc is flashing away. I assume that this means the HDD is ok, and we have to change out the MSC.

Can anyone confirm this please.

Yes in the original problem 3.5's
both base function tray (leaky caps) and the MSC(no jumper)
were bad

Hey thanx guys luckily I didnt have any major issues. Checked my caps OK, when I connected monitor found simple OS error; file corrupt. Booted with last config everything came up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back