Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 Do I need patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc00tie

Vendor
Sep 7, 2006
CA
I have just assembled a BCM50 R2.0 with 2 expansions. Are patches necessary to be installed after I have powered them up and installed the keycodes.

It's always in your best interest to load all current patches on a system.

I disagree to many times have BCM patches caused me issues so i sit in the "if it aint broke don`t fix it" box...

But on the other had i do recomend in the case of the bcm 50 r2 loading the following on all new systems..

BCM050.R200.044-CORE-1.3-1.0
BCM050.R200.035-OAM-1.0-1.2

The unfortunate issue is that it depends on your setup of the BCM. I have had a few issues due to patches. However, if you need support from Nortel you need to have all the patches before they will help you. Even if the Readme file says absolutley nothing about your problem there may be a patch that fixes your issue.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Is there a repository for patches? I'm an IT guy and our company isn't a Nortel partner and we don't have access to download patches, but I do manage the BCM. Any ideas?

Nortel won't give out patches nor its documentation freely to end users but rather feed them thru its vendors . Very questionable tactics IMHO. Last company I worked for ends up throwing out all their Norstar because of one of these buggers reasons. I had a tough time just to find a free programming manual so I can keep some Norstar going but in the end Cisco/Avaya came over and do a clean sweep .... Very sad day for some of us N* lover . I personally hate the M1 line but N* is pure joy to work on compare with Ciscr*p or Partner

My 2 cents

Madwok, I think that Nortel is wanting a tech to get certified when working on the BCM product. I really don't see a problem with that.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Documentation is easy to come by on the intersurf. Patches are only via partners (and I believe rightly so given some of the companies out there). You can cause a lot of problems misapplying them or even worse if there is a pre-existing issue.

/RANT
Nortel is attempting to clean out the more disreputable vendors by making all products certified. If you want to support it you need to pony up.
/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back