Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 cycling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Have an R2 acting funny. Voicemail works, expansion module dead but has power. Pulled power cord to main unit and BCM 50 just cycles, all lights turn on, and then off. Continuous. New multi image HDD installed and same cycling issue. Is it toast?

Did you set the multi image to load up a release 2.0 image.

Was the system ever upgraded to a newer release?

My thoughts would be to check the keycode to work out if the software release is 1,2 or 3 on one version or 5 and 6 on the other version.

Some of us use a serial port to connect onto the motherboard and watch the boot up sequence.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

What you described sounds like normal BCM50 behavior when the mainboard is unable to find a boot device (the hard drive). Most likely, when you pulled the power, the hard drive was already dead or failed to spin up when you reconnected the power.

As Firebind Scrambler pointed out, it is very important to use either a new multi-image hard drive (with the hardware platform and software release not selected yet) or a multi-image drive with correctly configured hardware (BCM50) and a software release that matches what was on the BCM50 before (i.e., R2 in your case). If you for example use a hard drive configured for BCM50 R5 on a system that was running R2, the system wouldn't be able to boot...

Yeah, brand new multi-image drive. Cannot ssh into the bcm.

Are you sure it is an R2? and not upgraded?
Looking at the backup file can help determine that.

If anyone has Multi Image drive then make sure to make a backup of it.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

That is a definite possibility. I think I lose the chance to use the drive if I pick the wrong image? SOmething like that. I am not sure where to look in the backup file. Is that an upgrade keycode or some indication of that?

If you have a backup file, then it will probably need the *.tar file extension added.

Use a zip file tool to extract the contents and look for ant folder called "keycode" or the file called "licensefile.txt" post the contents and it will hopefully give you a clue what software release the BCM has.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

When you install the Multi Disk, you choose your release, once installed it will delete all the other releases to make room on the hard drive.
That is why it's best to make an image of it for when needed.

Yes, you can look at the keycode for "Upgrade 299 2XX", however, technically it does not mean that an upgrade was performed.

Extract softwarelevel.tar.gz then extract sofwarelevel.tar, look in \softwarelevel\nn\patches\info and open history.log
Look for evidence, if nothing listed then it's safe to assume it's still out of the box based the NT9T part # on the back.

Some notes I took while I repaired, I didn't note all versions such as onces with Routers:
Example: R1(Release #) - 1.00.2.04 (System Software Version noted in BEM/Identification) - NT9T6500 (Model #)

R1 Version 1.00.2.04g, 1.00.2.04 or SRG50 R1 is Rls 1 NT9T6500 Year 2006
R2 Version 2.00.2.05c, 2.00.2.05e or SRG50 R2 is Rls 2 NT9T6501E5 Year 2007
R3 Version 6.0.2.05 or SRG50 R3 is Rls 3 NT9T6502E5 Year 2008
R5 Version 9.0.1.30.572 is Rls 5 NT9T6505E5 Year 2009
R6 Version 10.0.1 or 10.0.1.52.176 or 10.0.2.52.258 or 10.0.1.04.136 is Rls 6 NT9T6506E5 Year 2010

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I am certain it is an R2, I think my disk is no good.

The BCM50 won't detect disks that do not support SATA I. In general, hard drives with the sizes 40GB, 80GB, 160GB and 256GB typically all supported SATA I and as such could be used in BCM50. Only some SSD drives support SATA I - the vast majority of SSD devices does not support it. In short, you need to use a hard drive or an SSD drive that supports SATA I and therefore can be detected by the BCM50 mainboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back