Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 and Skype - wildcard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macoles

Technical User
Aug 14, 2005
US
I know this is a complete wildcard question but is there anyway of combining a Skype or similar internet service with a Nortel BCM50?

There are the obvious ways such as buying a skype adapter like the Dlink DPH-50U. This will create an analog dialtone that can be placed into a system trunk port. This allows you to make and receive Skype calls.

There is also a Sip Trunk option in the BCM that requires a Keycode to enable. Once enabled a provider like 's voip Trunking service for $30 per month will work. and there are some free providers like freeworld dialup
The last time I checked neither Vonage nor Packet 8 offer direct sip peering.

Dominic

Good news as I expected the answer to be a flat "No".

Two further questions:

Presumably then there is an access code or feature key to access that trunk when you want to make a Skype call, or would all calls default to Skype?

How easy is this to set up? Our Vendor is also our local telephone service provider and they are not going to be too keen, or in fact may well flatly refuse to setup this arrangement.

Thanks for all your help.

Just plug it into a trunk port and assign it to pool and an Access code to dial it.

ie: put the line in Pool B and make 8 the access code.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Liet my add this, I was think Vonage adapter so I'm not sure about the Skype

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Ok thanks. Will investigate further.

Anyone else with any input or confirmation of the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back