Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 450 Multi image Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachef

Technical User
Jan 20, 2009
CA
Hi,

I have a BCM 450 with a faulty secondary hard drive and I have purchased a Multi-image hard drive that I am trying to replace it with. I checked the documentation to putty into the BCM 450. Everything seems ok except that the options are:

0—Exit. The system exits to the Safe OS login prompt.
• 1—Reboot into Main OS. The system reboots to the Main OS.
• 2—Shutdown. The system shuts down. You need physical access to the BCM450 hardware to
restart the system.
• 3—Reboot into Safe OS. The system reboots to the Safe OS and waits 1 minute for you to
login. If you do not login within 1 minute, the system changes to the Main OS.
• 4—Transition to Main OS. The system changes from the Safe OS to the Main OS without
restarting.
• 5—Configuration Reset. A Level 1 reset occurs. The system resets all configuration data to
the factory defaults.

• 6—Software Reset. A Level 2 reset occurs. The system resets all configuration data and
software to the factory defaults.

Question # 1: Where is it that I can choose the image I want to install for that Hard Drive?
Question # 2: The BCM 450 shows version 10.0.1.04.138. This should be version 6. Correct?

From reading the data you have, it sounds as if the Multi Image has already been used against a BCM 50 or 450 system.

What login details did you use to get to the menu with?. It should have been the standard default ones.

You should only have needed to select option "1" to Install and Activate a BCM SW release.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Do you mean you have a raid drive.
Main hard drive and a second hard drive in raid mode.

It's the second drive that's faulty.

Sounds as if you are accessing the main hard drive and that's why you are getting these prompts.

If the main hard drive was faulty then you would get the prompts to install the rel 6 image.

My problem is I have never had to replace the raid drive,.

But I think you need a blank hard drive and not the multi image drive.
Do a google search and I am user you will find the answer as I have seen this question before.

Folks, I tried to replace the faulty secondary hard drive with a blank one and booted but it did not work. I am pulled in all directions and I am totally lost as to what I need to do. I have a raid hard drive that failed and I need to replace it. The primary hard drive is working. What type of hard drive do I need? What is the step by step procedure to do it?

The couple of times that I replaced a hard drive that failed in a redundant system I just installed a blank drive that was similar in size and booted up. The system did the rest. Make sure the secondary is not set as a slave. Leave it set as a master and connect it as the secondary, or it might be labeled as the mirror drive.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Curious...how do you know its not working?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

What Rel 5.0 or 6.0? make sure the REL of new HD is same size and REL. It just requires a Blank properly partitioned BCM release HD for mirror.

The mirror on a 450 is a SW keycode so hopefully the REL match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back