Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 450 HDD/Raid Status LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkster

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
US
I have a bcm 450 that hdd2 was getting red led every once and a while so I ordered two drives for the system and cloned them to new drives. I replaced the drives with cloned drives and booted up. System comes up but none of the HDD or RAID leds come on at all but the system works and seems to be fine. Does this seems normal? I would think they would be green and seems like before the swap they were always yellow but maybe that meant there was error. I can't find anything in manuals for those leds. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

I am not qualified to answer but most devices the light is off when idle or flashing when activity.

450 LED Status:
Off = No Hard Drive Activity
Green = Normal Operation
Red = HD Failure (and if HD2 for RAID is not installed)
Orange = Activity

So if the HD is off when not active, but Orange when active, then what the hell does "normal operation" mean? it is both not active and active? lol

Check the ElementManager/Administration/System Metrics/Disk Mirroring and see if they are listed which is good.
Also check Alarms for any issue related.

Somebody whom has a 450 will reply soon.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I have attached a file that should explain it all. I think your current system isn't set correctly.
You need to power down the system and replace the hard disk with a blank one in HDD2, assuming that the HDD1 on the left has the good drive.

When the system powers up, you need to go to the area where you set it to sync to the blank disk. It takes around 30 minutes to do a mirror fron the main working disk.

BCM_Disk_mirroring_mel82q.png

Once the 2nd hard disk has been seen by the BCM, then you should be able to change the setting to active from inactive.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

ok thanks, end of day for me but will look at it in morning. Thanks you

And don't forget that your BCM keycode will need to have

<feature>
<code>240</code>
<data>1</data>
<name>S/W Raid</name>
<comp></comp>
<expiry></expiry>
</feature>

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

So I guess it is working shows active and everything, guess lights just don't blink. I mean would it not work if disk one was not working correctly because I cloned/replace both. Just weird that I don't see any of the leds come on anymore. Thanks

drives_vfgncc.png

I mean would it not work if disk one was not working correctly because I cloned/replace both"

If either drive is not working it would be red, see my post above.

-Leave a test message in your mailbox and see if it flashes green while doing so

-What BCM release and what patches are installed?
It's possible your systems software has not been update to release 6 and that you have not installed the latest patches?

Now is the time before it goes live.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Everything seems to working fine, I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back