Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 (v4.0) Flashing Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

96008n1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2012
US
First I would like to apologize if this has already been answered in another forum. I've looked all over the forum and can't seem to find anyone having this problem with a BCM 400 (Version 4). Recently I had a location loose power for several hours and before I could get to the site to put a stand alone generator on the UPS for the phone system it died. After normal power was restored I brought the phone system back up and upon booting I started getting a beep code on the system and all the LED's were flashing on the front of the unit. However after a few minutes all the digital handsets came up as normal with extension and lines working. However the ip handsets won't register nor can I ping the system. So I pulled the unit and initially tried the serial connection to the system with no luck then tried using the mouse and keyboard connection on the front of the unit that is hidden behind the plate. Nothing there so I began to think it was possible the RAM on the board had failed causing the system to not boot from the hard drive. I replaced the RAM on the board with known working memory and still recieved the same beep codes and no video on the monitor, next I disconnected the hard drive and recieved the same results. Finally I removed the MSC card from the system powered on the unit and recieved the NORTEL logo on my monitor along with no more beep codes. So I guess the question is does this sound like a failed MSC card in this system even though the digital extensions boot as normal. It seems to me that there is something wrong with this card that is preventing the base system tray from booting. Right now the only spare parts I have for this system is the station modules and nothing else since it's the only one I have where as I have 10 Norstar units that I have just about every spare part for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If the digital phones are working then the MSC card is working fine.

Usual problems are the hard drive failed. BFT failed. Power supply faulty.
Does the voicemail work.
If not then the hard drive is faulty,
Are all the LEDS steady now or still Flashing.
If still flashing after 10 minutes then the fault is either the Base function Tray or Hard drive.

Open the system and look at the BASE FUNCTION TRAY and see if the capacitors around the Processor are BUBBLED UP.
If so the the fault is with the BFT.

Another problem could be the power unit not supply power to the Hard drive.

I you get 3 fast beeps on start up followed by 2 slow beeps then its the power unit..

SO in summary
Check the LEDS still flashing.
Check Base tray for faulty capacitors
Check power supply start up beeps
Check HD

Sir I tip my hat to you! I opened the powersupply and low and behold there were the swollen caps causing the low voltage. I forgot to mention that the base tray had the blue caps. I've put a temporary powersupply in the system and it's booted right up and working right now both IP and digital stations. Once again thank you.

The caps on the motherboard prone to failure were labelled as Leylon and green and gold in colour. I'd be very surprised if there are any BCMs with them that have survived this long, as they would have failed a few years ago.

regards
paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back