Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 v4.0.2.03a Strange ISDN30 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyds

Technical User
Mar 26, 2004
GB
At an office I support I have a BCM400 hooked up to a BT supplied ISDN30 copper line via the usual on the wall terminator unit.

The problem is that since a lightning strike (replacement termniator unit needed) and an upgrade from V3 to V4 (and subsequent ground-up re-entry of config) the external lines won't come up if the BCM is powercycled. The only alarms I can see are something regarding a race condition on the DTM clock. If I get the telco to reset the termninator unit they come up straight away.

Any ideas?

I take it that you now have a BCM 400 at release 4.0?. It sounds as if the clocking is an issue. What type of ISDN30 trunks do you have?. It tends to be EURO ISDN, but the older BCM's may still be using DASS ISDN30 trunks.

What do you mean by a replacement terminator unit?. Was that a RJ45 to a C0AX cable?.
The Clocking on the BCM should be set to Primary external.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

The terminator unit is an NTE52B like this

NTE52B_top_small1.jpg

It hooks up to the BCM via an RJ45 on the NTE52, so I think it is Euro ISDN trunk. We've never had on coax/DASS2.

Where would I check/change the clocking?

What you have in the picture is BT's ISDN 30 Network Terminating Equipment 52 box. It's their kit and it sounds as if the box is fed via bunched copper cables to give you the 2meg link rather than fibre as it's probably not available in your area.

What you need to do is to go onto the BCM phone system via Element Manager tool and go to "Administration" then "General" and finally "Alarms". Look for what Alarms exist. If you see lots of "Free Run" and clocking etc, then contact BT as it's their problem.

It means that your link is poor causing the ISDN to drop frequently.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Thanks for the info. Oddly the problem only occurs if the system is turned off. Next time it happens I'll grab an alarm log and call BT to fix it.

This problem exists on other systems. Only the other week a customer with a Norstar system who had DASS ISDN 30 trunks had a power cut and couldn't get their lines working again.

I don't know if the BT NTE52 box was the same, but we had to tell them to reload the software onto it in order to restart the trunks.

Therefore, I don't think it's a problem on your BCM system.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back