Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Phone flashing (Max capacity ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSDI

ISP
Jun 5, 2003
CA
Hi,

we have a functionnal BCM 400 running version 4.0.2.21d

We don't have any problem with it but this.

New phones we are adding keep flashing forever without actually bootin (ie getting in a working state).

We rebooter the system guessing it might fix the problem without success...

I'm starting to wonder if we reached some kind of limit on the bcm. It's really filled up with modules...

The DS30 is splitted in a 2/6 configuration.
In the BCM, we have 1x PRI interface and 3x DSM32+
We have an expansion cabinet with 2x DSM32+

DSM32s are in BUS 2,3,4,5,6 while the pri module is on bus 7

Do you see some problem with that that could explain new phones are not working ?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards

check you keycodes and see how many you are licensed for

I never heard there was keycodes for stations (I knew about VM, IP Seats, etc) but are you sure there are for Digital stations ?

I went to element manager in "System/Keycodes" The only 2 licenses that we have active are

VMSeat => 50
Upgrade => 104

Would it be the 104 that would limit us in the number of phones we can have ?

Thanks a lot for your help

No, you do not need digital station licenses for the BCM400. You need to check the dip switches on the DSM 32's and make sure they are all ON. Then in Element Manager make sure that they are set for DSM 32.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Hi,

On the bcm 450, I think we can leave all the dip switches to ON, but i'm my memory is right, on the BCM 400 we can't.

Right now I have them like this:

BUS2 xxx111
BUS3 xxx110
BUS4 xxx101
BUS5 xxx100
BUS6 xxx011

And my PRI:
BUS7 xxx010

In Element manager, I went to resources/Telephony Resources, and ProgType and ActualType are both to "Stn Mod". I don't see where I could set DSM32... Is it somewhere else ?

When I look at the details, I see that my BUS 5 and 6 for the DSM32+ I see only phones 1-16 as working, the others are marked as Unequipped so you might have a point that the bcm think it's a DSM16 instead of a DSM32

Thank for your help

Check the DIP switch settings again and make sure position 1 is on if your MBMs are DSM32+ models. Don't really know what difference it makes but the manual does say to set them that way for double density models.

Based on the number of modules you have you can add up to 160 sets.

You don't need separate licenses for adding sets
your dip switches are correct, but like "telcodog" said, the first dip switch should be ON.

Are these new phones being installed on an empty module? If that is the case you possibly have a bad module or do the above and check the first dip switch on that module.

How many new phones are you adding? Are they the ones branded "Avaya"? I heard from other posts there might be issues with those, but I haven't experienced any issues with them so far.

Try to unplug an existing working phone of the same model and plug in the new one, see if it comes up, if not, it might be a bad phone.

hopefullly you solved it but its the dip sttings.

Yes :)

I should have came back to post the result...

I had two modules sharing the same bus because I didn't set my dipswithes as double density.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back