Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Hard drive gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitelD

Vendor
Mar 21, 2006
US
I have a customer with a BCM400 3.5. We had a bad storm one night and the next morning they came in and could not access voice mail and Unified Manager could not be accessed. Also, the status light on the front of the cabinet is flashing. I believe the problem to be a hard drive. We have been told that we cannot get a 3.5 hard drive. We can only get a 3.6. What kind of problems will there be if I put in a 3.6 hard drive with a 3.5 MSC card?
What is the best way to handle this problem?

You'll need to run a universal profile to get the MSC updated to 3.6. You won't lose any telephony programming. All voicemail, IP, keycodes are lost - can't restore 3.5 to 3.6.

If you have the BIT software, you can order the 3.5 BIT image CD's - those are cheap. The BIT software itself is kinda pricey. If you don't have a good backup, may as well just rebuild mail and reapply keycodes.

Also, check the base function tray for failed capacitors. Might get lucky and just have a BFT that died during the storm.

One thing you can try, which worked for me, use PUTTY to access the BCM SSH and check the services. Also in the services enable VNC and either get in yourself or have Nortel do it and have the services started again. I have the same or similar problem and once I restarted the services Unified Manager let me in and Voicemail restarted, then you can use that to copy the programming and have them retrieve their Voicemails and delete for the new Hard Drive or system.

More then likely it's the Base function tray with bad capacitors, I have had 20 BCM's with Flashing LED's and Vmail not working and only once was it the Hard drive.

I too have regular hard drive problems, although we DO have 3.6 as an image. I am struggling to find a really good imaging package either Linux or Windoze, I am constantly rebuilding primary drives to rescue Customer data :( current drive is Maxtor 20gb but going over to 80gb Maxtor as 20's are gard to find unless you get them from Nortel at $big.
Does anybody have a recommendation for the best Imaging software??

But, it worked in the lab!!

I use Partition Magic.

Check the other posts in the forum regarding upgrading to 4.0 from ghosted drives as that could be a serious issue.

NARSBARS

Keycodes aren't lost, you just have to imput them again.

I would have a look at a post regarding the ghost setup. The reason I say this is . If you are not ghosting the hard drive correctly you will run in to a problem later trying to upgrade to 4.0.

Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back