Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 4.0 Failed MSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyBoy

Technical User
Jan 4, 2010
US
I have a BCM 400 that was originally a 3.6 then upgraded to a 4.0. The MSC card failed ( I replaced entire unit because didn't want to spend down time trouble shooting Raid, BTU, hard drive etc.)so I purchased a new BCM 400 with 3.7 and had the key code regenerated to the new system ID. The next step is critical. Can I:

1. put a new 4.0 hard drive in 3.7 unit without another upgrade and then restore key codes and backup.

2. put original 3.6 to 4.0 hard drive in 3.7 system and then restore keycodes and backup

3 or upgrade 3.7 to 4.0 using upgrade CD then install keycodes and backup.

Please let me know best procudure to get system to 4.0 and backup restored.

You should've only replaced the msc card if it had failed...not the entire system. This way u could've used your backup.

#1 no. 4.0 keycodes are in a different format to those of a 3.x system. Also 3.7 backup can only be used on another 3.7.

#2 no

#3 yes if u have the upgrade keycode which will migrate existing keycodes to the new 4.0 format. No to using old backup.

How do u know the msc failed and not the hard drive? If telephony was working, chances are it wasn't the msc. Vmail, EM, pswds, and ip telephony are controled by the hard drive.

In addition to #1 an upgrade is required to change the BIOS to that of a 4.0 system and enable the USB ports.

Sounds like u complicated things and have created a lot of extra work for youself.

Shoulda kept old system and only replace msc or replaced upgraded 3.6-4.0 HD w/ new 4.0. No further upgrade would've been required.

Thanks for the feedback. I was advised to go that route. So will my back up not work even though I get the system to 4.0 again. I will have original keycodes.

If it's a 4.0 backup, it will only work on another 4.0. s/w level must be the same as the backup.

Dasheen, Thanks for responding. My next step to get this system back up is to:

1. Upgrade 3.7 to 4.0
2. Apply new keycodes that were regenerated from old system
3. old system was running 4.0. Restore backup from old system to the new

How would you procede given this task? Thanks.

You may have to purchase a new upgrade since the first one was already used. After upgrading to 4.0 you will be able to restore your backup since it was created using the 4.0 software.

One thing you might try first that won't cost you anything is to just take the MCS from the new system and install it in the old one if you're certain that was the defective part. Then just load your regenerated keycodes and the configuration should still be on the old HD. If that doesn't work, it may have been something other than the MSC, such as the BFT. Those were prone to failure on the BCM400.

well turns out the upgrade from 3.7 to 4.0 didnt work because a problem with the 3.7 drive couldnt get into system but by serial only.(needed a patch). So i took a new 4.0 hard drive and installed in the new cabinet and it came up fine. I was able to log in, configure, make changes, load the regen keycodes, all green lights, all good. However I restored the back up from the old system and it was sucessful, so sucessful that I am now in the same position I was 2 weeks ago. Evidently it restored the corruption from the old drive to the new Same problem, cant log in to element and IP trunks not working. I did a back up of the new system before I restored old backup. Question is do i try to restore the backup pre corruption and rebuild from scratch or get a new drive and rebuid.

I also reviewed what Dasheen said about the usb ports not being enabled. That is exactly what has happened. I have been relying on tech support and doing what they say. very frustrated at this point!

What would happen if i put the new msc card and a brand new 4.0 drive into the old cabinet??

The system ID would change and you would have to regenerate the keycodes, but it should work fine. Why not just put in the new HD and leave the same MSC in it? Do you have an older copy of the backup, pre-corruption?

Yes i have a back up pre corruption. Is there an update outhere that corrects the usb bios when replacing a 3.7 with a 4.0 hard drive?

I don't believe there is the BIOS update. It runs when you load the upgrade so if youinstall a rls 4 HD into a rls 3.x box the BIOS never gets upgraded. That's why I mentioned using the hardware from the original upgraded BCM and installing a new HD in it. If software corruption is the problem you should then be able to simply load a clean backup file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back