Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 3.5Upgrade Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
TT
I am attempting to upgrade a BCM 400 3.5 to 3.7. I am getting the following error message.

"The MSC Core Telephony Software could not be properly recognized. Please confirm that the telephones connected to the BCM are functioning

Recommended Action: Exit upgrade"

All phone except the Ip telephone sets were functioning.

The reason for the upgrade is because, intermittently all ip sets are re-initializing.

Does it have any patches for the 3.5 software to correct any of these issues.

Ther is a 4.0 check wizard on Nortels site. This checks the BCM to see if it can be upgraded to 4.0.

Reboot the BCM and try again. Sometimes that happens if the voice inventory service doesn't initialize properly.

But, before going too much farther, have you verified that your MSC and BFT are OK? Either of those could be responsible for the "intermittent IP sets reinitializing" problem. Upgrading typically won't fix a system that is already unhealthy.

I have tried rebooting but it didnt help.

How do you verify that the MSC and BFT are OK?

Assuming that you heed biv343's advice and all is well with the BFT and MSC, before you attempt your upgrade, log into the BCM and do a System Inventory refresh. Wait about 3 to 5 minutes rather than the 1 that it will ask you to wait. Then display the system inventory. If the inventory shows a time and date of inventory that is accurate (ie taking into account the amount of time you waited), then you will not see that message when you attempt to run the upgrade. This is also useful if you experience this message when patching.

There are software ways to check your BFT, but the best way is to power off and visually inspect the capacitors for bulging/leakage. Also while you have the BFT out, see if your MSC is the "hardened" one -- this has a small jumper wire soldered between two points. If all is so, then you should be ok to proceed with the upgrade.

I usually also run a chkdsk /f on drives C through F before my pre-upgrade backups (just incase).

I checked the capacitors and unfortunately there is leakage and bulging.
What are my options?
Do I have to change the base chassis?

Yes thats the way to go ...Get a new BFT corresponding to your platform, before doing anything else.

Check with your vendor if NT can replace it - i think it expired end of Dec

You could try calling Nortel, but the last bulletin I have say's Free replacement expired 12/31/06.

Clarify Bulletin 2005006002
BCM BFT issue

Clarify Bulletin 2005006321 Version 6.
"The purpose of this bulletin update is to extend the retrofit program to December 31, 2007.

I have been abandoned by my official nortel rep, and anyone else i call won't do anything with out charging me something to look at my 2 BCM's that have a bad BFT. Anyone willing to replace them for me? I have already verified the part numbers. Thanks

If you know the CAPS are bad for sure, check

badcaps.net

He will repair them real cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back