Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 3.7 to 4.0 upgrade, cannot do backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlary

Vendor
May 27, 2008
US
Ok guys,
I performed a BCM system upgrade this weekend, went from 3.7 to a 4.0. Had to do the deletion of the CDR files that was recommended by Nortel when that problem arose. The upgrade went well and everything upgraded as expected, but, I cannot perform a backup. It appears to perform the back and goes through all the motions, but it never says 'backup complete' and does not appear where I attempted to save it. Any thoughts on this?

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J.G.

download EM from the BCM, install it over your existing application and try the backup again.

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

The EM was downloaded from the BCM after the upgrade was complete, I had to in order to access te BCM with the 4.0 software, are you saying to do it again over the exisitng one?

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J.G.

Did you patch the system after upgrading it to V4.0 ?

If its not broke tweak it..

Yes, I patched the system with all of Nortels "latest and greatest" for the customer. It's at that point we noticed we could not get a backup. I just wonder if something got deleted during the install or prior to, that hurt the system

Are you getting the pop up windows that show which files are being backed up, transferred etc? I will assume that you are selecting your computer as the target location and selecting a file somewhere on your pc to store it.

If so, check your firewall settings. As well, try selecting USB device as the target to see it its the BCM or the PC causing the problem.

Yes, I am getting the pop up windows saying what process is taking place, we have attempted to save to 2 different PCs on the network, both times with the same result, it seems like it gets to the point where is finishes the back up, but then it just does not show the 'backup complete' box, and it just stops, it acts like it did the whole thing, but nothing, there is no file where I pointed it to.

You say "on the network". Does that mean that you are trying to back it up to a folder on the customers network or are you just using the customers network to connect your PC and are trying to back it up to a folder on your PC?

In any case, you might want to connect directly to the OAM port of the BCM to eliminate a few of the variables. First thing I would do is try to back it up to either the BCM itself and/or to the USB port. That way you eliminate a whole pile of potential network and firewall issues.

After you patched the system, did you download the newer version of element manager which is included in the patches, if not, do this then see if this resolves your issue.

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

We were trying to back it up to the PC that had all Bcm folder files on, it would not work on my laptop either. I will recommend updating the EM, and see if that works.

In reference to the Element Manager as Newby states, here are a couple of items from the BCM400 Destop 009 Update patch: Might be your problem.

Whether To Download The Element Manager From The BCM
----------------------------------------------------
Please determine the Element Manager type by starting the Element Manager and
going to the "Help" menu from the main menu. Under the Help menu select the
"About" option. If the first line that appears reads "Nortel Business Element Manager"
then the Element Manager you have currently installed on your PC is later than the
one in the update. You should still apply this update but you should not download the
Element Manager from the BCM. You should however let the Element Manager
download the new cartridge. If the first line in the about box reads
"Nortel BCM 4.0 Element Manager" or "Nortel BCM50 Element Manager" then you
should download the Element Manager from your BCM 4.0 after installing this
update. To do this after the update is applied, you should access the BCM through a
web browser like Internet Explorer by putting the BCM's IP address in the Explorer
address bar. From there you should select "Administrator Management Tools" and
select "BCM Element Manager" to download the BCM Element Manager.

Software Update BCM.R400.036-ElementManager Description:
--------------------------------------------------------

- Element Manager Freeze
After a restore operation, Element Manager can freeze with a small dialog box
visible that cannot be closed. To close the Element Manager application, the End
Task button must be used from the Windows Task Manager.
Q01396834-01

- After a restore operation, the user is unable to select the configuration tab.
After a restore operation, if the user selects the Configuration tab, the screen
navigation tree does not update to allow the user to select configuration screens.
Element Manager must be shut down and restarted to resume normal operation.
Q01396834-01

- Ignore in-band DTMF in RTP
On the "IP Trunk Settings" tab in the Element Manager there will appear a new
option "Ignore in-band DTMF in RTP". When enabled, this will cause the Voice CTI
applications (including Voice Mail applications, IVR and Call Center) to ignore any
in-band tones received over a VoIP trunk call that are encoded in the RTP. This
setting should be enabled when the far end is a Call Server 2000 (CS2K) and
Packet Voice Gateway (PVG) combination, where the PVG is provisioned for
OOBDTMFSupp=FullSupport, resulting in the PVG + CS2K sending out of band, as
well as in-band, DTMF tones at the same time to the BCM. The PVG MAY not send
both tone notifications depending on whether the call is using G711 and depending
on what the SN0 version is.
Q01376707-01

Is it possible you tried to do a backup right after the upgrade to 4.0?(before applying any patches?).
I had an issue when 4.0 was released, after many attempt to do a backup on a network folder, it screw up some files in the bcm.(bcm would think there was always a backup running in the background and would not allow a complete backup)Nortel had to replace the files in the bcm to fix the problem.

Well, I am gonna have customer load the new element manager and see what happens then, I will report back as soon as I get the results from that.

Ok, thanks to everyone who responded to this and I know it has been a while. The answer appears to have been, by loading the new element manager software that comes with the latest patches, the backup worked just fine. I quess that is something to keep in mind should anyone else ever experience it. And thanks to Option11newby for that suggestion.

Have a star option11newby!

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back