Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 3.7 -> 4.0 upgrade & BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndr99

Programmer
Jun 5, 2016
CA
Hello out there!

I've been searching the forums for info on upgrading from 3.7 to 4.0, and have a couple of questions:

1. The BCM is running 3.7. It came without a hard drive, so that's what I dropped in it. I notice, however, that my USB ports actually work - is it possible it was already upgraded? Can anyone tell if the BIOS was already Flashed or if it needs it?

2. Keycodes - If I slap a 4.0 drive in the machine, is there a tool available to translate/migrate the keycodes? I don't have the upgrade CD. Do they have to be regenerated from scratch?

Many thanks!

Verulam Telephone:
Communicating is our Pleasure!

Serving Eastern Ontario

1. Check under Administration/SoftwareManagement/Software Update History to see what was installed for updates or patches. BIOS should not need an update.
2. To keep programming you need to upgrade 3.7 to 4.0 via a special key code and CD, to just install a new 4.0 drive and program from scratch you will need to migrate the keycode via KRS using the same special keycode.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

It sounds as if the BCM was at some stage used with the Linux 4.0 software. You won't be able to use any migration keycode as the Avaya service for the older BCM 200/400/1000 ones were withdrawn a few years back.

There are unofficial ways of achieving what you require, but those members on this forum won't discuss any of this here.

If however, you were planning on just seeing if the upgrade would work, then the easiest way is to create your own 4.0 keycode with your site ID used as shown below in the example.

SystemId: 1A9E5C0E0000
Sequence: 1
KeyType: 2
# Q.Sig Voice Networking
110 1
# MCDN
111 1
# BCM Voice Messaging Mailboxes
202 100
# VOIP Gateway Trunks
206 48
# UM seat
208 50
# VPIM AMIS Msg Networking
211 1
# BCM LAN CTE Seats
217 256
# BCM IP Telephony Client
218 100
# Fax Messaging
220 1
# Fax Overflow
221 1
# Fax on Demand
222 1
# Fax Suite
223 1
# BCM Pro Call Center Agents
232 80
# Multimedia Contact Center
235 100
# Network Configuration Manager
252 1
# CTE APP Devices
254 1
# ICC Enabler
271 1
# ICC Skillset
273 50
# ICC Reporting
274 1
# ICC
279 1
# Retail Suite
291 1
# BCM 4.0 Upgrade
299 104
KeyCode:

As your BCM is currently at 3.7, then the upgrade "299" bit needs to be changed to 104 as shown above.

The upgrade CD-ROM's are available and it's best to copy them onto your hard drive first as they are on two disks.

There was a Pre=Check tool available that I have attached for you to try. Just run it and it will tell you if you are able to upgrade it to 4.0.

If you do try to do the upgrade, remember that the keycode given won't work once it's at 4.0!.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I don't understand why anyone would bother upgrading a 3.X to a 4.0. Both systems were manufacturer discontinued years ago.

If you like the Nortel stuff, why not look at spending the money on an Emetrotel UCX. You can keep all your Nortel sets and get all the stuff available on a modern IP based system.

Same reason my grandfather still uses his David Brown tractor on the farm: its paid for, and it still works!

Verulam Telephone:
Communicating is our Pleasure!

Serving Eastern Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back