Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 200 3.5, bad hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymz462

MIS
Dec 7, 2006
US
I've got a BCM 200 3.5 that's not functioning properly. Some sort of power issue over the weekend messed up the hard drive, which is now giving me the "Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \%systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMHardware Profile/Last Known Good menu" error. No ERD disk or backup. We can dial out, but can't dial extensions at other sites and if someone dials our external number the line rings continuously.

I took the hard drive out and put it in two different PCs to try to fix the issue, but neither PC will recognize the drive.

I have a new (as of early this year) 3.7 drive that I got from Nortel. I tried swapping that into the system, but it's not working either. I get the premliminary boot screen, see the "Nortel Networks" white splash screen, and then the system hangs with a blinking cursor. I put this drive into a PC and everything seems fine with it.

All the lights (with the exception of power) on the BCM are flashing. I replaced the BFT several months ago and I'm certain this is just a hard drive issue.

At this point, should I just get a new drive? Would the software version (3.7, 4.0) matter? Would I need to reapply keycodes or anything? We're not using voicemail on this system.

try the 3.7 drive again. The nortel splash screen is all the further it will get while watching with a monitor, connect with a serial cable and watch it boot. I once kept on re imaging a drive because I thought it wasn't working, but I was just watching with a monitor, turns out it was working fine, I just wasn't patient enough. you will have to do a universal profile through the serial cable anyway, so might as well get one connected.

u have to initialize the 3.x HD via the command line before it will be fully operational. Keep in mind the nortel krs will have wrong info about your system. The records and keycodes will still show as 3.5.

You would have to by a 3.7 upgrade and when the keycode is generated it will update the KRS to show the system at 3.7. But if you don't care it will run with the keys on it the problem is when you go to add more.

Thanks for the replies. Will I need to reenter the keycodes? I don't know what they are.

OK, I realize I will have to reapply keycodes. I don't have access to KRS, but the system ID is F8DE4D0A0000. Can anyone with access to KRS tell me what my keycodes are?

You don't need to renter the keys they are on the MSC card so the sys id stays the same. You will need to rebuild the mailboxes and AA.

Are you sure cook? The BCM documentation for "Hard Disk Replacement Procedures" states:
"10 Set up the hard disk:
a Initialize the hard disk. Refer to “Initialize the Hard Disk” on page 189.
b After the disk is initialized, restore your data from your backups. If you did not backup
your keycodes, re-enter them."

I've also seen some threads here that indicate key codes need to be re-entered.

Sorry to be doubtful, but I don't want to screw up this system more than it already is!

on a 4.0 you have to reenter them. thought it was the same on all systems.

If u don't have the keycodes I suggest calling your vendor. U also need the 3.5 - 3.7 upgrade keycode so your system info is updated in the nortel KRS. I also suggest you load all available patches on that HD.

Key Codes are 100% on the drive. If you replace the drive you will need to key codes need to be re-entered.

Thanks all. I tried to initialize the disk yesterday but couldn't connect to the BCM via serial cable or ethernet cable. We're probably going to just replace the entire system rather than monkey around with individual bits and pieces.

Until the drive is initialized via the serial port, you won't be able to access the drive via ethernet.

if u don't use the same msc you'll have to regenerate the keycodes to the new msc system id via nortel krs. Also if u swap the system out for a new bcm 4.0, you'll need to purchase 4.0 upgrade keycode in order to convert your existing keycodes into the new 4.0 format.

Why don't u call your vendor to come in an look at the system. maybe they can get the HD going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back