Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I am using Windows PowerShell (Admin).
My command line is this: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"
I had used this exact command line before and it did work.
Now it says "The set command specified is not valid". It makes no sense.

Hardware: Acer Predator 710 Desktop

Are you certain the path \EFI\ubuntu\sjimx64.efi still exists? What happens if you run "bcdedit /?"? Do you get an error then? Have you done any updates between running powershell?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Thanks for replying 2ffat :)

I am certain the path is right. I keep documented records of what were the solutions to previous issues, in case it happens again. And basically I copy/paste this command line to assure myself not to make a typo/mistake. Plus, it has proven to work before.
I can run bcdedit.
But you are right, there's been numerous updates since the last time I successfully used that command line. Namely the Win10 Creative update.
Should I infer that the command line needs to be modified? Maybe it needs to be adapted to whatever changes were done in the updates?

He wasn't asking if the path was copied correctly from your documentation. He is asking if the actual directory pointed to by the command line AND the file still exists after all the updates.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I see. Thank you for bringing that to my attention Beilstwh :)
I looked into this. I found 2 subdirectories in the boot dir: grub, and efi. However, the efi dir is empty! I suppose that's the problem.
Then, am I to create the missing ubuntu dir and the shimx64.efi file inside it?
If so, how?

Thanks

I found where exactly the shimx64.efi is found.
In the 1st partition of disk 2. It's flagged "boot, esp".
What I don't get is, that this is the command line to use: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"
Which I see it provides the path, but that does not provide the disk. Hence, how bcdedit knows for what disk that path is for? For all I know, bcdedit could be looking for it in the wrong disk. Maybe there's a parameter that allows to set the disk too?

It's fixed.
The solution was to switch to CMD from within the Admin Windows Powershell. Then the command line works!
Someone from a different forum suggested it.
Bcdedit said it was successful. Now lets restart the pc and see if loading Ubuntu is successful too.
I'll be back.

I can't quite confirm it, as I am having trouble with Ubuntu. But I believe what was done with bcdedit did work. I just have other issues to resolve at the Ubuntu end.

I am finally able to confirm it! The solution mentioned in July 13, was the good!

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back