Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 460 MLT Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDSAINT

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2003
US
Hi all, I just installed 2 stacks of 460's (7 switches per stack) today. I got both stacks configured and up and running great. The bottom unit in each stack set to base. The bottom and top units both have GBIC cards in with fiber running to dual 8600's.

My problem started when we realized we were short ports. So I moved the bottom (base) units down a couple notches on the rack, powered off both stacks, and put another switch in on both stacks. I reconnected all the cascade cables. So now I have 2 stacks of 8 units. I powered the stacks back on and now I cannot even connect to both the bottom and top switches in both stacks. I can't even connect in locally. In fact, when I power on and off both the bottom and top units, they don't even do a self check (POST). The rest of the switches seem fine other than none of them can see each other.

Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions? I tried taking out the cascade modules and the fiber modules in one of the switches that won't post, but that does nothing. It seems that they lost their flash or something.

THanks,

BDSAINT

Do you have the same soft- and firmware on the new switch as for the rest of the stack?

When saying that the bottom unit is the base unit, I guess it is unit #1. And I guess the unit over is #2. Do you use Device Manager?

If so, I would recommend you to do the opposite. Because Device Manager shows the stack with the #1 unit in top.

Regards
G. Tomte
Working with:
- Nortel Networks, Routers, switches
- Alteon
- CacheFlow
- Blue Coat

Hi.

Disconnect the stackcables and try to coldstart the bottom switch as a standalone switch, to see if anything has happened to it. Also check the FW and SW versions to see that they are the same for all the switches in the stack.
Maybe the baseswitch IS broken. It can happen you know
=)

-Cheers, Niklas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back