Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baystack 350T console trouble 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toro00

ISP
Jun 17, 2002
US
I have a db9f db9f null modem cable. I connect both ends, load up a terminal with 9600 8N1, press enter, ctrl y, ctrl x, and just about every other button without any response from the switch. Does anyone know exactly what type of cable I should purchase with what adapters so that I can connect to the switch's console port?

it wants a straight through cable, so a db9 null modem adaptor should make the current cable work. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Hey..did you manage to console into your switch, I'm having the same problem. Any info, would be a great. thanks

Make sure flow control is set to none (In Hyper Term Defaults to Xon/Xoff). My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

I'm using a straight-thru serial cable and having the same problem. I've tried instructions from manual and everything I can think of. I'm wondering if the last Admin change the console port parameters on the switch itself. Can anyone point me to resetting the factory defaults, from outside of the console. No telnet either.

Thanks,

E. Rodriguez

I used a newer version of Hyper Terminal (ver 5.1) and it connected perfectly. The last Admin didn't touch the switch. Try that fellas...

E. Rodriguez

I'll second that. Straight thru cable was no use...downloaded latest HyperTerminal, no probs now.

According to Nortel's manual a straight-thru cable is required for connecting via the console. I'm glad the lastest HyperTerminal help you out.

E. Rodriguez

hello

i have one and have the same prob

i can't find hyper term 5.1

i am using 6.1 and still can't get in
i realy need to get in to reset the setting

can you pelase help me on how to oonnect

Hyperterminal 5.1 is the version included with Windows XP Professional. I would do a search at Google or Micrsoft websites. Also, verify that you are using a straight-through cable. Search Nortel's website for the Baystack 350/450 manual, if you don't already have it.

Good Luck!

E. Rodriguez

Hey,
I used a straight through cable using hyper terminal 5.1 successfully. When you hit connect (flow control off), press ctrl y then enter. It should load up the main menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back