Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery Reconditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaird

MIS
May 10, 2002
US
I am running Windows NT 4.0 on my servers(All DELL Poweredge) with a PERC2 RAID chip. I have been experiencing many battery reconditioning errors in my event log. Where does all this come from? I have run FAST to cure this is the past but want to prevent it from happening in the future. Any ideas why this happens and prevent from happening on any other severs?

I have the same issue on one of my Dell Poweredge's. This is by design. It is actually a good thing that you can recondition the battery without it going on you.

I had to contact Dell one time because I did not know about this and they said it was by design.

This happens on many of my machines. Primarily on my mail servers. Is there a reason why the battery gets depleted so quickly? Is receiving the battery reconditioning warning frequently because of some unerlying problem or just nomal wear?

I believe it is just normal wear. If it is happening frequently I would be concerned. I only have to do it on one poweredge server and I usually end up doing every 6 - 7 months or so (I ran this process once in April of Last year and again Novemeber of this year).

Question. Are you running this process to recharge the battery?

(4) Click on “Open” and reply, “Yes” to message. This will start the function of recharging the battery in the Dell 4400 Server

· This is a normal recharge of battery function that will prompt us every 6 – 8 months to run.
· No Reboot is required.

Yes...pretty much the same process. It is not happening a lot on one server but it is happening on a lot of servers. Once I recondition the battery though I don't see any problems on that server for a few months.

Hear ya.....Guess I am happy this process does not happen on my other servers.

What a pain!!!

FYI, I've also seen this on a number of my Dell servers. After talking to Dell, they admitted there's a bug in some of their servers agents which can give a false warning about the need for battery reconditioning.

They suggested to either turn the agent off or upgrade to a newer agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back