Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery of notebook computer cannot charged to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda

Technical User
Jan 19, 2001
MY
The battery meter for the notebook computer shows as 99% power even if the battery is full. Is there any good explaination to this? Why can't it goes to 100% when fully charged? The battery is the litium type.

Appreciate any pointers.

I can not say much about the 100% versus 99%. One thing I know is that sometimes it is a good idea to occassionally let the charge to reach really low levels. What this does is to allow for a full deep charge once in a while it is a kind of a conditioning charge. Charging too often sometimes hurts batteries.

I would have thought laptops would start using Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. They last longer and charge faster. This is what they try using in some Electric cars.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Most of the notebook these days use the Litium ion battery, I think the Metal Hybrid is the older type that has battery memory which always needs to eb discharge before it recharges well. That's my limited understanding.

Thanks for your response.

Could be a simple S/W error. Or, it simply means, battery is getting older..

I don't agree with ceh4702 on letting the battery reach really low levels. Letting charge reach low levels often can reduce the life of a battery.. Also, the frequent charging and recharging process ultimately decides the life of the battery...

Just my 0.02$

NiCad suffers quite a bit from the "memory" effect, i.e., the chemistry is such that shallow discharge and charge cycles over time will induce the battery only to supply enough current over time to what it has previously experienced. So for them, a full discharge and charge cycle periodically is required to maintain the original capacity. NiMH is slightly less susceptible and has more ampacity for its volume. Li ion supposedly has almost no memory effect, but in fact, PC manufacturers tell you to condition it periodically with deep discharge and charge cycles in order for the electronics to display the proper charge. A big part of going to Li has to do with eliminating toxic materials. Nickel and cadmium are highly toxic to the brain and liver and kidneys.

Lead-acid batteries, such as those in cars, cannot survive long with deep discharge and charge cycles.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Don't worry to much about it if it gets stuck at 80-70% then go to your Notebook manufacturer website and download the battery refresh tool. If that does not work you'll have to get a new battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back