Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bathroom telephone set

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohuhu

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
US
guys,

can anyone recommend an analog telephone set suitable for bathrooms and other high humidity rooms? i think ip24 level would be enough. i have a hotel project here and 4* level hotel requires a telephone set in bathroom. i did some research myself but everyone's answer was just "we install ordinary sets and replace 'em once in half an year". i don't think it's right approach, hotel telephony market is quite large and i think there should be a telephone model designed for bathrooms. :)

have you thought about the requirements, sounds like you might need handsfree in there [surprise] [surprise]

avaya did the wynns hotel in veags you should see what they used in the restrooms.

pbxroomisquiet,

i thought humidity and water splash resistance of ip 24 level would be enough. unfortunately, i still can't find a suitable phone. makes me think that replacing 'em once in half an year is The Right Way. :/

chuck14,

thanks but it's too expensive to travel over half a world just to see what phone set they used in vegas hotel. ;)

For legal reasons you would have to make sure the phone will not reach the tub or shower so some guest doesn't get a shock and sue the hotel. Maybe a cordless would be a good idea, but then of course they get a lot more abuse than a corded model and the batteries go bad and customers would steal them. Maybe a wall mounted speaker phone would help? Course speaker phones are more likely to be sensitive to humidity damage than a handset.
The humidity would be worse in a place with normal high humidity like Florida. Here in Denver our humidity is usually low so we have much less problem with humidity in the bath. So that would be a condideration.
They have special phones for explosive areas that might do the job, but I imagine they are very expensive.

Explosion Proof" in the bathroom, now that is an idea worth considering!! haha ;)

orypecos,

yes there are special phone models for explosive areas, mines, even for seaships, completely waterproof. but there's a hitch: first, they're a bit expensive (seaship model costs about $120) and second, the design is just ugly. i guess one can't get both beauty and strength for one's money. :)
still searching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back