Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonang

Technical User
Oct 12, 2008
SG
Hi All,

I'm using Code39 for my scanning purpose and have successfully scan the barcodes into excel.

Right now, i need to do a batch scanning. Instead of having to scan 5 barcodes. I wish to only scan 1 bar code that will append into each column of my excel spread sheet.

For instances, i have this 5 barcodes that correspond to "LOT#", "QTY", "DATE", "DESIGN", "COLOR" in each colunm of an excel sheet. Instead of scanning 5 individual barcode, how can i combine all the 5 barcodes into one?

And by only scanning once, all my data will be input into each column respectively?

You may be able to separate each of the elements (LOT#, QTY, etc.) with horizontal tab characters; but:

(a) I've no idea if input into Excel will interpet <HT> characters as 'move to next column'.

(b) You'd have to use 'extended Code 39' instead of 'standard Code 39', and reprogram your scanner to interpret the barcode as such.

(c) Depending on how big each element is, the barcode may end up being too long to scan reliably; you probably can't encode much more than a couple of dozen characters or so in a single Code 39 barcode.

Thanks for your pointer.
I've configured my scanner to intepret the extended code39.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back