Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Reduce mixed images

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzak

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
I need to reduce 600 images all different resolutions. Need it to reduce everything to no more than 500px but I dont want it to touch anything smaller and increase it. I cannot figure out how to program this however I see it is possible if using the web gallery function but that only goes to 450px.

CS3

I don't the answer to your question but would it help to sort the images by dimension then copy all of a certain size to another folder for processing with web gallery function?

Start > explore > locate folder with all images > RightClick on the "name heading" > choose more > check dimensions > OK

Click on the "dimensions heading" to sort

Just a wild guess.

sam

Hi, when I have such a resize to do, I begin the way mscallisto suggests. In fact, I make two directories: 1 with a copy of the images over 500px, the other with the smaller images I don't want to change.
If not already done, I make a "action" with the resize I want and I start a batch (File>Automate>batch...) on the entire directory containing the "big" images.
(destination : Save&Close, so the process is full automatic, and on a copy because the original files will be overwrited)

Move the "little" images in that directory and you have what you want.

There are OS add-ons and native capabilities that can do this as well. For example, Windows XP users can install the Image Resizer PowerToy here:

This PowerToy lets you select some/all images in a directory, set a custom size, choose to 'make pictures smaller but not larger', and create copies or overwrite the original.

Ok Jim, there are several programs to do that, but usually at a basic level with few possibilities to control the process.
The main advantage with Photoshop's batch is to retain all the fine controls offer by this soft.

I have used other image sizing apps in the past and I have to agree with cebebe on the advantages of staying with pshop.

Why do you need more possibilities to control the process? The powertoy simplifies the process required by fizzak.

The powertoy negates the need for manual checking of dimensions and does not require the system overhead needed by Photoshop. The image conversion works more quickly with the powertoy.

The only thing Photoshop would offer above the function of a system level resizing would be the SFW preview where one could optimize the image quality/size compression. ...but then you wouldn't really have a batch operation as you'd have to tweak each image.

I don’t want to polemize but within Photoshop you are able to do what you want, even in a real automated batch, not what the program want for you. For example, I usually use an enhancement, needed by the reduction, using an overlay of a high pass copy-image rather than a “simple” sharpness filter. To just say one. This kind of control over my work is not present on the other programs I have seen, even if some of them works well and fast.

That is all well and good. I just question anyone that tries to squelch the usage of any tool that might accomplish a task much more efficiently.

If you are truly able to do what you want in Photoshop, you would not need to sort out undersized images in Explorer/Finder to exempt them from Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back