Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch files dont run

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff79

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
I having a problem running batch files from some locations. The desktop and the root of network shares (netware)
I've got an archive of many admin batch files that have been used many times in the past. For some reason I cannot run these batch files from all locations on an XP machines

All that happens is that the first line prints out over and over.

They do however run perfectly well from within all folders, just not from the desktop or from the root of a mapped drive (NT or Netware).

this is anoying as often I pass batch files to users to run from the root of their shared drive. This means I have to place the files into folders were they have trouble finding them (even with an obvious folder title

Hi griff79!

The problem you are describing has to do with security credentials. Most users are not allowed execute rights on the root of the boot device. This phenomena can be complicated by network credentials that may further limit the "execute" from other locations (such as the desktop).

Of course, all this is designed to limit the possible attack by a malicious source or, in some cases, by well intentioned but inexperienced users.

My suggestion is to do what I have done for years: copy your batch files to a specific folder and make sure that it has Execute rights for the person or group you are trying to assist. It is, indeed, an extra step, but it does help system administrators with a layer of protection against malware.

I hope this helps

-=Victor=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back