Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch file backup program

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhus

Technical User
May 11, 2003
AE
I need a batch file for xp/win200 pro machines that will backup their word and excel documents to a network drive on aonther machine using an unc name.
It should search their whole machine (directory and subdirectory)and copy only the MS office documents, not the folders and subfolders the documents are in.

What I mean by the whole machine is that it should start at c:\ and so on. The staff have an habit of saving their documents all over different directories.

The batch file would be automated through task manager. For example at systems start up. The batch file should back up without any user assitent or prompt from the computer to overwrite files.

I mangaed to xcopy using the switch /S(Copies all files in the current directory and in any subdirectory within it). but that copies the directories and subdirectories too which I don't won't

Is there a good reason for not wanting to recreate a directory structure? Since if there are files with the same name (in different folders on the source) they will overwrite each other on the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back