Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch Data Entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pance

Programmer
Mar 9, 2000
CA
Is it possible in A2000 to select a new batch number at the beginning of the data entry process, and have every record you touch/edit marked with that batch number automatically?<br><br>I know how to put the date() but in this case the client wants to use batch numbers. Then I will have to create reports that summarize each batch.<br><br>Pance.

Pance,<br><br>Try creating a table containing Batch numbers and a date.&nbsp;&nbsp;The batch number could be an autonumber. You can start it from any number you want.&nbsp;&nbsp;When it is time to do a new batch number, just append Now() to the batch number table.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then run a summing query that looks for the &quot;last&quot; batch number and use it for the current batch of input. <br><br>Let me know if this helps.<br><br>Mike

My suggestion is very similar, create a Batch table with an Autonumber BatchID, add the BatchID as a FK (foriegn key) in the records table you're already using, and relate them in a one-to-many.You can use the subform wizard to create a form based on the batch table and a subform based on the records table, and Access will take care of adding the FK to each new record.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try that later tonight. The only problem is I would have to use the tblBatch and frmBatch to start the data entry process. Ideally I would like to create a batch (in tblBatch using AutoNumber) and then open any form I want for data entry.<br><br>Is it possible to select a batch number from the tblBatch and then create some global variables and every record I edit/append will be stamped with those global variables like: BatchNumber, BatchDate, UserID... etc?

Several ways I seen this done: <br><br>1. make all the forms subforms by putting them on the batch main form. Or<br>2. put buttons (again using wizard) on the batch form to open the associated forms. Or <br>3. put a find textbox or combobox on the top of each form. Or<br>4. use the batch form as your startup form and then put code in it to store the current batch number as a global variable. <br><br>Personally I've found 1 or 2 easiest for me to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back