Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch chage to Read Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

guiado

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2008
GB
Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I have a number of folders in which there are various files - mainly Word and Excel but the are a small number of Project files. In all, I'm talking about approx 800 files. Is there a utility that I could use that will batch change all these files to be Read Only with a password that can change them back to being editable - as you can do in Word with a single file? I have tried a few small apps off the net, they appear to change the file attribute to r but you can still open the doc and edit it.

Yes, you can edit it, but you can't save it without getting rid of the "r". You can save a copy. In Windows[sup](R)[/sup], if you can see something, you can copy it.

You mentioned a password. This would imply that the file would be encrypted. I know of no utility or application that can do a mass encryption.

There is a simple Windows command line function to do a mass read-only. It is attrib. The syntax for setting all the files in the current subdirectory to read-only is 'attrib +r *.*". For more information, go to a command prompt and enter "attribe /?

Well, first you need to clarify in your own mind what you want to do.

Change the File System Object (the file) to Read-Only.

Or

Apply a Read Only Password to the Document, SpreadSheet, Schedule etc. within the Office application.

Webrabbit told you how to do the first.

The second could be done with a simple VBA program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back