Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Batch/C/Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyetry

Programmer
Oct 2, 2002
US
OK, this realy isn't a TX question but if someone here has an answer it would be of great help.

We have a group that is sending us an X12 file with a <CR><LF> after every 80 bytes. They said their edi software can't produce the file any other way. But would love any suggestions we could give them so they can become compliant (I was going to suggest getting a better tool but our PM got kind of weird about it ;) ). Their current system is as/400

Anyway, I'm not swift of C, dos, Unix etc...

is there a command line I can have them run against their file befor sending it that would remove specific characters? Specifically <CR><LF>?

I'm taking care of the issue at our end for now but it would be great if they could handle it before the file arrives that way I don't need to massage their file.

Eyetry,

I see what you mean. we have this issue even on mainframes. I havent worked on AS400's but I think maybe you could ask them to change the record format for the output files. Current their record format must a fixed block file with a record length of 80. What they can do it make that a variable block file.

What this does it that is basically allows the file to be wrapped around variably instead of after every 80 bytes. This makes it platform independant.

We implemented this on the mainframe we have. Again I'm not sure whether the AS400 enables this kind of control but I think it should since it was created after mainframes were.

The above solution can be made possible by using a program after their EDI tool which would convert the format from FB to VB.

Talked with them about using variable blocks and <NL> for terminators. Their tool doesn't allow it. Their response to us is "..we know its a problem but our other vendors accept it. If you have a solution......"

Just thought there was an easy script in some format they could use but don't know of.

I'm trying to coordinate a technical discusion with their programmers but so far our & their Project Office staff are in the middle. So, while our staff is pretty good I'm not sure what might be getting lost in the translation.

I thought if I came up with a script I could pass it to them via the BA, have them FTP it from the server verses the AS400.

Looking to put it to bed

The 80 character output is emulating punch card format. They need to define their file with a different format.

Eyetry,

If they are not willing to change the format.
Best solution would be passing the received file through an unwrap map.

That's what I have going today but we are in the middle of a conversion here and I'm re-writing and consolidating our existing maps. I've gotten it down from 10-11 834 maps to 3 runmaps that share funtional maps. And am reducing our non-834 mainframe enrollment programs by 2/3 using TX instead.

So, in order to keep things simplified I want to push back on the BAs to get good files, standardized formats. They understand that push come to shove I'll take anything they can send. I just want them to work a little more at quality at the front end. They seem to buy the concept as it's working pretty well, over all.

Contact IBM Support. Ask for the BAI example. It is in 1.4.2 format, but you should be able to open it in a later version (trees first) and it handles 80 column conversions.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back