Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Wokgroup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US
I am trying to setup a basic Windows 2000 workgroup. One server and 4 workstations.

I am not understanding this portion:

"you can set up user accounts on the server's local "user
manager" that match up with the accounts your clients use to log in to their workstations"

I added all my users to the server in user manager. All computers are part of WORKGROUP, same as server.

But when I browse from the server to nethood, I have to provide a password each time I want to access a users workstation shares. I did not change permissions, its set to default everyone.

Any clarity here?

syncronize all passwords. make the user password on the server and the user password on the workstation the same.

basically what happens is like this:

When you access the workstation, it will cached the Server Username and Password, it will check this to it's allowed users. For your case for exmaple, maybe the server username is "Administrator" with password "12345678", when the workstation check whether it has a user "Administrator" result is ok but when it check the password "12345678" against the Local Aministrator password which blank the result is different then it will not allow an access.

Try this, Go to each each work station and the server's administartor account to the built in local Administrator group. To do this the workgroup name should be the same on all your workstations and server.

workstation: go to control panel and double Administrative tools--->Computer Management
Expand the system tool and click on Local users and groups.
click on groups and you will see Administartors group->right click on it and select add to group. Add the servers admin to this group.
From what I understood from your discription of your Lan, It might work.
Don't forget to restart your machines. You might not need it, but it is always a good idea. From your server log in as the admin and see what happenes.

Thanks

Server "Administrator" password must be the same as Local "Administrator". So go to each and every workstation to do that. That's what Chris77504 means..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back