Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic VLAN Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

eca2

MIS
Nov 4, 2017
US
I have a basic HP Procurve Switch setup, with 2 PC's and a Firewall connected to the switch.

The switch is configured with 2 vlans and 1 Trunk port. My expectations are that I will be able to access the Internet with this configuration. After setup, I cannot connect to the Internet.

What is the issue here?

This is how I connected the resources:

Ethernet cable from Firewall to port 48
PC1 connected to port 2 (vlan 2)
PC2 connected to port 5 (vlan 3)

This is how I configured the switch:

[vlan Configuration]
switch1# conf t
switch1(config)# vlan 2
switch1(vlan-2)# untagged 2
switch1(config)# exit

switch1(config)# vlan 3
switch1(vlan-3)# untagged 5
switch1(vlan-3)# exit

switch1(config)# write memory

[Trunk Configuration]
switch1(config)# trunk 48 Trk1 trunk

switch1(config)# vlan 2
switch1(vlan-2) tagged Trk1
switch1(vlan-2) exit

switch1(config)# vlan 3
switch1(vlan-3)# tagged Trk1
switch1(vlan-3)# exit
switch1(config)# write memory

Cannot access Internet from either PC [sad]

Thanks in advance!

What is each devices Default Gateway? What is doing VLAN routing?
What model switch is this? If it's a L2 switch, then you'll have to use something else as your L3 device.

We used to use HP 26xx series switches as the "primary switch".
VLAN 1 (DATA) - 192.168.1.1
VLAN 2 (Voice) - 192.168.2.1
All user ports are Untagged (VLAN1) and TAGGED (VLAN2).
All uplink ports to other switches are TAGGED on both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2.
ALL DATA only devices are Untagged (VLAN1) and NO (VLAN2)
All Voice only device (phone sytem controller for instance) is untagged on VLAN2 and NO on VLAN1.

This 26xx series switch will be the default VLAN for each device on the network. IP routing will be enabled, And will have a ZERO statement pointing at the firewall.
The firewall would then have a simple route directing back to the Voice VLAN via 192.168.1.1

In the past few years, we've been pushing All routing function to the site's SonicWALL firewall.
In such as case, the SonicWALL will simply assume 192.168.1.1 (DATA VLAN) and will have a sub-inerface X0(v2) as 192.168.2.1.
The switch port connected to X0 will then be configured as Untagged (VLAN1) and TAGGED (VLAN2).
The switch will only need a management IP address, and a traditional default gateway (not IP routing).

In both examples, the respective .1 IP address will be the devices default gateway.

In your example above, I'm not sure what you're using trunks for, unless you're teaming uplinks to additional switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back