Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

basic unix question on file size and directory sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnim17

Programmer
Jun 19, 2005
US
Hi,
Kinda a new to unix. Wanted to know how to find the limit for the size of the directory in unix. Does unix give a default size for the folder, if yes what happenn when the data in that directory exceeds the limit.

In the same way is there a limit to the file sizes in Unix. What command should I use to see these limits and how can I increase it?

pat

In simple terms.....
There is no limit to the size of a directory. The limit is the size of the partition just as with Windows.
There may be a limit to file sizes, indeed there ususally is. From a command line type
Code:
man ulimit
to give the manual page for the ulimit command which controls this.
How ulimit is implemented tends to be specific to the flavour of Unix you are using.

Columb Healy

Most flavors of UNIX have a "ulimit" command which controls how large a single file can be for an individual user. There are also file-size constraints which vary with UNIX build, revision, and filesystem type. You will probably need to furnish those to get more definitive answers.
I'm not aware of any practical limit imposed on a directory. A given filesystem may have a limited number of INODES, and therefore a limited number of files which can be created, but I don't believe it would be restricted by directory.

And the winner of the helpful race is feherke!

Columb Healy

Thanks guys for the Race to Help. I think every one is a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back