Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic understanding of 3com 4900

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOrphf

Programmer
May 5, 2003
DK
Hi

I've got a 3com 4900 12 ports switch from a company.
I have set up some VLAN's, and assigned an IP adress to them so every VLAN can access the internet, but they can't access each other.
That is somewhat positive :)
Now it could be nice to configure some ports to be available from one vlan to another.
Is there some one who wants to write som how to, or does someone have a link to some good userguide or something like that?

/Lars

You will need some form of a layer 3 device doing your inter-vlan routing. This can be accomplished with either a router on a stick configuration or a layer 3 switch. Without something doing your routing, your task at hand is impossible.

Darn it ... no edit depending on what model you have it may not be L3.

Hi MrNick

The switch is L3, as the VLAN's can be assigned an IP address and be able to ping it.
And is have an option called routing.

I'm not a big expert om switches, but have a colleague who knows cisco, and he told me what I wrote :)

/Lars M

The 4900 is an early L3 device so not particularly sophisticated, but L3 none the less...

So, if you add an IP address to each of the VLAN interfaces the switch will automatically route between the VLANS.

-Blue
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back