Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic To Dynamic Disc???

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertedmed

Technical User
May 23, 2005
US
Hello, i have replaced a hard drive in our dell server.it was drive D used for DATA.it was a dynamic disc. i installed another LARGER drive (same brand) and copied the data to the larger disc.it is formatted as basic disc. I wonder if i should convert the new drive to dynamic???? we are having random reboots (2 a day)
can someone shed light on this problem should i convert??????
Learning everyDay
THANKS Robert...

NEVER use Dynamic disks, if possible, leave the basic disk as is.
Random reboots are not be caused by the Dynamic disk. Look for viruses/malware, resource stealing executables/drivers, hardware issues.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for your answer i suspect a driver issue,after i got the new drive in thur night by friday at 11:00am it rebooted then rebooted again in about 1 hr.this time i got a STOP ERROR on bootup.i then used the bootable disc that came with the server it restored it to now it starts fine.i've been looking to update the scsi drivers on this DELL PE1600SC
box.i found on the support site drivers for the scsi non-raid controller the bios shows LSI logic 1020/1030 controller and that is what i have on floppy now but when i go into control panel under scsi devices all that's there is the adaptec card (which has the tape drive) and Dell perc4/im raid controller so how do i update the non raid drivers no raid setup here....
THANKS for any aditional help Robert...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back