Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Steps to install exact macola progression workflow explorer 7.7.6 on Win10 Client 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun N Sand

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2022
US
Looking for the simplest steps to install Macola progression workflow 7.7.6 on a new client workstation running Win10 from a network server with SQL Btrieve, please advice...much appreciated.

I'm not sure it will run on Windows 10. 7.7.600 is over 10 years old. Why are you using such an old version? Why are you not on MS SQL Server?

But to answer your question, there should be a mapped drive for your Macola application. Within the Macola70 folder there should be an install folder. Run setup.exe from there,

I cannot recall if there is client install for Btrieve/Pervasive SQL, because I haven't used it for 20 years.

Macola Software Veteran and SAP Business One Consultant on Training Wheels

Check out our Macola tools:

dgillz,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated.
I agree, we are using a very outdated system/version and I've been pushing the owners to upgrade to Macola 10 for the last few year.
Hopefully we will be moving to a new platform next year, but until then and I'm trying to work with what's available.
I've never loaded Macola to a client from the server before myself, and I just want to make sure that I don't do anything that will disrupt the system.

I didn't find a Macola70 folder, but on the client mapped drive (M:\\) client I did find a setup app in the following folder.
M:\Macapps\Macsql\install\Setup.exe

Could this be the client install file?
Please see image attached.
Again, thank you!
MAPPED_CLIENT_DRIVE_chs0su.png

The subfolder names changed over the years so the folder location (Macsql\install\) could be correct.

Make sure you run the install using the mapped drive and not the full UNC path.

Note too that Macola Progression used two menu systems - Progression Explorer and Progression Workflow Explorer. The install for the Progression Workflow Explorer is in a subfolder labelled PWE.

Peter Shirley

If you are in the macsql folder, you are 99% sure you are using MS SQL server not Pervasive/Btrieve.

Is there no install folder there? If you click on the Macola icon and select properties, is it also pointed to the macsql folder?

crystalreporting,

Thank you for the reply an great information.
Noted to run the install from the mapped drive on the client.
And we have both Progression SQL Explorer & Progression Workflow Explorer (PWE), We all mainly use the PWE and is our preferred menu system.
Do both menu systems have to be installed or can we just install PWE?

As for the install for PWE, there is not an executable (setup.exe) file in the subfolder labelled PWE.
Any thoughts on an alternative location for the PWE install file location?

PWE_SUBFOLDER_Capture_bwgvme.jpg

dgillz,

I wanted to apologize for my lack of knowledge/information and want to say thank you for your patience and help.
I checked and we did do an upgrade a few years back (2017) and I am pretty sure you are correct that we are now using MS SQL server and not Btrieve.

dgillz Q1.) Is there no install folder there?
Yes, there is an install folder with an executable Setup.exe at:
G:\Macsql\Install\Setup.exe

dgillz Q2.) If you click on the Macola icon and select properties, is it also pointed to the macsql folder?
Yes, from a working client workstation the Macola shortcut icon properties point to the macsql folder. See below:

Progression SQL Explorer - Client Shortcut Properties
G:\Macsql\MACOLA32.EXE

Progression Workflow Explorer - Client Shortcut Properties
G:\Macsql\PWE.EXE

Please note that, we only use PWE as the main menu system.
Will PWE load to the client by running the mapped Setup.exe at: [ G:\Macsql\Install\Setup.exe ], or will this only load SQL Explorer?

The only other executable file I am finding (see attached) are in the main folder G:\Macsql\ and there does seem to be a setup file (MacSet32.exe - marked yellow). Will PWE load to the client by running this file MacSet32.exe ?

Again thank you, I tried to find information via YouTube Videos but found nothing helpful, once I get this completed I am going to create and post a video of this process to help others. Do you have a channels on YouTube?

Thanks in advance
Sun N Sand
macola_macapps_folder_exe_files_c2oagq.jpg

Running the install from the macsql\install folder will install the non-PWE version of the Macola client. Running pwe.exe from directly below macsql will install the Progression Workflow Explorer version of the Macola client.

It's been a long time since I dealt with Macola Progression, but I believe that should work!

Peter Shirley

I disagree with Peter, running g:\macsql\install\setup.exe will install both Progression SQL Explorer and Progression Workflow Explorer. I am still not sure this will work on Windows 10. Have you tried this yet?

MacSet32.exe is an old Btrieve 6.15 component.

I do have a YouTube channel.

dgillz/Don,

Sorry I've been busy on other projects, and I'll be testing this out as soon as I get caught up and can get back to it.
As soon as I do I'll let you know. If it does I will definitely make video to share on YouTube and will share to you of you would like to also post it on your channel.

Thanks
Marty
Sun N Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back