Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Steps For Checking Slow Connection On WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

followtheboat

Programmer
Nov 29, 2008
IN
Good morning,

I connect to the internet via a hotspot with WEP security enabled. The code changes every two weeks and I have the latest log-on details but I have no control over the router. I just connect to the nearest AP, the signal of which generally is either excellent or very good. I can connect to the network without a problem.

Recently my connection has ground to a halt... almost. I can download emails and occasionally hit Google. I'm aware that this is possibly a DNS issue but I have tried ipconfig /flushdns and repairing the connection but the problem persists. Network Magic can't see a problem with my connection.

I just need some basic tips on what to check and reset as I'm not a networking genius I'm afraid, I'm just an end-user.

I have a Dell with XP Pro and a USB Ralink RT73 wifi adapter. I have the latest driver and software for this. I'd also like to know if it is possible the network is blocking me in some way, though this doesn't make sense as I can connect and hit some websites.

Any pointers gratefully received and if anyone is aware of a free spoofing app too that might come in useful.

BTW - I should say that I have tried disabling the firewall, checked for viruses, done system restores, and can connect to another network elsewhere ok using the built-in card.

Have you tried asking someone to reset access points near your location?

I would also report this to your support organization - there may have been changes recently that are causing trouble for you that was unanticipated by the change control team.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back