Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicalDean

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
GB
I'm sure I'm being really stupid, so I apologise :) But can anyone tell me simply what I need if I want to have a wireless network where there is a main PC that is connected to the router using cables and a laptop that is connected to the router via a wireless network. The router will then be connected to the internet

How can I do this and what do I need to buy if the laptop has a wireless network card and the main PC has a network card (not wireless)?

Any help is greatly apprechiated as I am completely lost :(

Just to check my understanding, you currently have an existing router that does not support wireless networking?

If so, you have 2 options:
1. Buy a Wireless Access Point / Router which can be used as an Access Point, and use in conjunction with your existing router.

2. Buy a Wireless Router that has wired hub capability (I believe they all do) and use that to replace your existing router.

A few things to consider if purchasing a wireless router:

1. Security - most Wireless Routers offer a minimum of NATS firewall, although SPI is often included and is a better option. This extra security is worth having regardless of any software firewalls running on your laptop / desktop. You will also be looking for a router that provides MAC-based access control and WPA-PSK / WEP.

2. Functionality - consider what you want to run on your laptop / desktop: eg VPN, etc. Look for the router that offers support for that functionality (eg VPN passthrough etc).

3. Range - what sort of range are you likely to require for your laptop? The newer products have greater range capability. Consider potential obstructions: exterior walls, metallic obstructions, etc.

4. Frequency - wireless operates in the 2.4Ghz frequency. Any other wireless products on that frequency (eg DECT phones, wireless controllers for PS2, wireless door bells, etc) may cause interference.

5. Compatibility - check details of your laptop wireless card - is it 802.11a / b / g? Check brand and model, and search for other peoples' experiences (good and bad) with the card and various routers etc. Check that you have the latest drivers / firmware for the card, and determine what levels of encryption are supported (WEP, WPA, etc) - see 1.

6. Configuration - I'd look for something user-friendly to configure, which has the firewall up and minimal services permitted to start as IMHO it's much easier to configure permissions rather than restrictions.

7. Lastly - don't be afraid to ask questions here [bigsmile]. I've learned a great deal from this and other forums since starting playing with wireless networking.
If you were
MagicalDean said:
being really stupid
then you wouldn't have asked the question before buying.

If any of this is unclear, or you have further questions please post back and I (or others far more qualified) will endeavour to answer.
I'd suggest posting back with any buying decisions before splashing out, and if you can provide details of intended router / AP purchase and laptop card info that would help us provide further advice.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Cheers for the reply :)

I don't currently have a router or anything, the main PC is connected to the internet via a modem and the laptop (which has a 802.11g card) isn't connected in any way

My brother suggested this for the router:

If I did get this, am I being stupid by saying I can connect the desktop PC to the router via cable, and then the router to the broadband modem via a cable and then connect wirelessly the laptop and router? If so, does anyone happen to know whether the cables to connect like this come with the router or whether I will have to purchase them seperately?

Again, cheers for any help! :)

The Belkin looks fine - WPA & WEP, MAC filtering, SPI + NATs - although I haven't setup one of their routers myself.

Cabling should run from outside to modem to router to PC. Routers usually come with 1 (usually quite short) cable sufficient to connect modem to router, so you should be fine on that front.

Be aware that you may need to reset your modem when ready to connect the router (just disconnect the power cable for a couple of minutes and then reconnect), although this is not always the case.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

You will need to check the packaging, but from my experience many modem/routers do include an RJ45 cable to connect up a desktop or minitower PC.

One other point worth mentioning. The 802.11 standard covers two separate frequency bands. The most common being 2.4GHz where 802.11b and 802.11g reside. The /g standard offers a faster data transfer, and is compatible with /b signals. 802.11a uses the 5GHz band and will not be affected by interference from the wide range of equipment now utilising 2.4GHz as mentioned by tazuk. (This also includes your microwave oven!). However, 802.11 /b or /g equipment is very popular, which is reflected in the price, with the /a gear being more expensive.

Please ask if you have further questions - that's how we all learn!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I was JUST about to post asking about connecting the router to the desktop, so thank you :) Cheers for all the help, I think I've got it sorted in my mind! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back