Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic SBS 2003 configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zotigo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2005
DK
Hi guys, I am new to IT and have to setup an experimetal site with SBS 2003. I have my domain registered with EuroDNS and can use their DNS servers to forward all traffic to my server. I also have a Static IP with a high bandwidth.
Please tell me what I need to configure on my server so that all the Mail sent to my Domain as well as the HTTP traffic, hits my server. I have configured EuroDNS servers (through the web interface they provide) to forward all such traffic to my IP.
Should it just be that I configure my server to use EuroDNS' DNS server instead of my ISP's? Please help me in this, thanks!

First up, go to and check to see if everything is functional, its pretty descriptive...

Do you have an MX record tied to your static IP for your email? IE: mail.mycompany.com

You should be able to telnet into your mail server:
telnet mail.mycompany.com 25 or if you're yet to obtain an MX record, then telnet yourstaticip 25.

Good places to start.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

You need to set the EuroDNS servers in the FORWARDERS tab of DNS on your server. You need to have Internal DNS for your network to function.

Since you have SBS, run the Internet Connection Wizard, it will prompt you for all the appropriate choices and set it up for you.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Dear Mark and Karmic, thanks alot for your kind advices. I am working on it and will get back to you if for some reason I couldn't set it up. Though I think you have made it clear enough, take care.

Regards

Any particular reason EuroDNS servers should be used as forwarders instead of the local ISP DNS server?

Also, as EuroDNS appears to be the registrar, why not ask the ISP to create a MX record pointing to the static IP address, and then have EuroDNS nameserver records for the domain point to the ISP's nameservers. The ISP probably has allows to add DNS records via the web as well.

Many ISPs have mail holding features and the above setup will allow mail to be held should the server go down for a few days for eg.

Claudius (What certifications??)

I may have misunderstood the server names here, I thought EuroDNS was the ISP. ISP DNS is what should be configured on the local server.

Regards,

Mark

But Mark can I not configure my server to use the EuroDNS servers instead of my ISP's? This way I dont have to ask the ISP ppl to do anything and can do it myself. I guess it might be a bit slower but I think since I have paid EuroDNS ppl enough money to use their DNS servers, I should use the services I am entitled to.

Regards

You might be confusing DNS servers with name registration servers.

You'll want to use the closest "upstream" DNS server under the "Forwarders" section in your DNS settings on your server...this is for name resolution.

If EuroDNS is your registrar, then they will manage your DNS records, regardless of what DNS server your network uses. Changes made to your DNS zone by EuroDNS will propogate throughout all DNS servers in the world, which includes your ISP's DNS servers, which will give you the updates.

You could use EuroDNS as your DNS server, but it'll likely be slower, and provide no additional benefit, as all DNS servers contain virutally the same DNS information.

Well said BigFunkyChief.

Regards,

Mark

Ahan, I get the picture now. Thanks guys!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back