Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic question re: Ajax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jak88

Technical User
May 21, 2010
US
Basic question about Ajax from a non-techie (apologies if it is a stupid question) ...

If I want to hire a programmer for an Ajax-focused project that will primarily have non-english language web pages (eg, korean or arabic), is it important that the developer be fluent in that other language? Or can the Ajax coding be done by any good coder and then have the non-English content for the pages "inserted" later?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thx!

I believe there is a general consensus that coding standards are based on the English language; namespaces, objects, variables, etc. The user can customize the UI to display a variety of languages. This is known as Localization.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

As Jason said, most of the code will be written in English (variable names, etc); however, I would suggest that you hire someone who has experience developing sites that use other foreign languages. It doesn't have to be the specific language that the site will use. The key is that he be familiar developing in sites that use other languages (specifically ones with multi byte character sets). I've done work on sites that are written in Arabic, and there are a number of character encoding issues that some developers may not be familiar with if they have never done so. It would potentially save you time (and money) if you found someone who's already learned those lessons the hard way.

Hope that helps.

Richard Morgan, Dallas Web Developer
RISTMO Designs: Rockwall Web Design

Thx thx to both Jason and Ristmo.

In addition to customizing UI to display the desired language correctly, are there other character encoding issues that come to mind?

Ristmo, you mentioned your experience with Arabic sites ... any specific issues for that language that you've learned (the easy or hard way)?

Grateful for all your help. As you can see, I'm barely literate when it comes to technical issues.

Jak, from your position I would focus on what your need is. for example:
what language(s) do you need to support?
will the user need to select their language?
etc.

these are the business requirements you need to communicate with the contractor. As for the technical details, i would leave that to the contractor. Research various programming companies, ask to see their portfolio or if you can have references from their clients. If they have developed foreign/multi-language sites and they are a reputable company this facet should not be an issue.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back