Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic question - How do I attach a server to a Compaq SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzukisj413

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2004
US
Hi,

Ok, I have been placed in a position well out of my depth, I dont really know anything about SAN's, and I have to build a new SQL server and attach it to our Corp SAN. Problem is, I have no idea how to even start attaching. Does some sort of "virtual disk" need to be created on the SAN for my server (SAN Is managed by someone else), and then, how will the server find this disk? Will the bus adaptor just "see it" once it is configured, or do I need to tell the bus adaptor something to get it to see it?

I know this is a very basic level question, but I am really stuck. I need to know what to tell my SAN admin to do!

Thanks
Rob

You will need to request some disk to be carved up and assisgned to that server. The server will see the disk as local SCSI disk once you configure your Host Bus Adapter (this depends on the HBA you are using).

So in other words most of the work is done by the SAN Administrator.

He will as comtec17 pointed out reconfigure some of the SAN storage to your SQL server and only to it. Since SAN storage is potentialy seen by every system on the SAN it has to be configured so that in this case only your server will see it's storage and not another. This is usually done by "zoning" at the switch, but can also be done via LUN Masking at the HBA level. For more on zoning see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back