Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

basic gcc comiler $PATH question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alana0246

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
GB
Hi

Ive just pkgadd' gcc to my solaris8 os and am coming up with:

"no acceptable C compiler in $PATH"

ive been on the gcc.gnu.org website but cant find the relevant documentation. does anyone know how i can get gcc working or where i can find the howto for this.

regards

a

depending on the Shell you use you have to change the RC File for it (man login; man sh; man csh; man ksh; etc)

Example:
my .cshrc contains the line
set path=($path /usr/local/bin )

gcc installs in /usr/local/bin by default

maybe you need to change Makefile Variable CC?

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

yeh that done the trick - thanks!!!!

My next stumbling block is im trying to compile pcre as im prepaing a snort box and apparently im missing pcre when im installing snort - so im just wondering if anyone has come across:

libtool: link: cannot find library ''
*** Error code 1
make:Fatal error: Command failed for target 'libpcreposix.la'

...when compiling pcre - the above is the response i get when i type "make"

Im new to this so it could be really simple but in the readme on the pcre website it says that typing ./configure actually should create 2 files, 1 of which is the libpcreposix.la which is states as part of the error.

its a solaris8(10/01) os on an ultra10.

Please let me know if any more info is required to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards

a

run 'find / -name libpcreposix\*' to find the library.
Doublecheck if the path to the library is listed in the makefile (if I remember correctly it was the -L option to gcc)...

The questions are very pcre specific and I am not familiar with this, but maybe this helps you a little bit...?

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back