Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

basic form question

Status
Not open for further replies.

childlead

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
hi.

i'm trying to add fields from a 4 different tables on to my form. do you know how i can i get access to go to the particular table using that "field list" icon? thank you for your help.

why do you need to tie 4 different tables to a single form? Sounds like you may need help with table design. If you are sure that the tables are designed correctly, consider combining your different table information together with a query before binding it to a form.

Hey,

Basing a form on more than one query or table is not very good practise.

You have a choice of two or three things really.

1. Create one table with all the fields that you require on the form. And have the recordsource of the form as this new table.

2. Use the four tables in a query to have all the fields you need in the form. And have the recordsource of the form as this query.

3. Use the DLookUp Function to get the fields you need from the various tables.

e.g. In the control source of the txtbox of your form you need to write something like:

Code:
=DLookUp("[your field name]","[table name]")

Hope this helps.

It all really depends on how you have designed your tables structure. And what you are trying to achieve with your forms.

Cheers,

Neemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back