Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Disk Partitioning & Ufsdump - Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBDIR

MIS
Sep 5, 2003
GB
3 questions...

I have added a second IDE disk to a Ultrasparc 5 box, probe IDE command discovered the 2nd disk & the format command run on it, the required slices now created. Ok so far..

1. I am unable to see the disk other than when I run the 'format command' do I simply have to mount the required slice or add to any other file?

2. I have installed Solaris 7 on the original disk aok but when I bring the system down into single use mode I am unable to do a ufsdump. I enter the following - to backup to a fie rather than tape.. ufsdump 0uf /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0ss3
I then get the error - 'device is not a character device' 'dump needs attention'.... what does tis mean? DO I have to add the recently built

3. Once I can get ufsdumpworking & I can see the new IDE disk I need to ufsdump the slices over to the other disk... do I do this... ufsdump /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0

? -

3.5 Wwhat is the difference between dsk & rdsk

Many many thanks!!!!

After partitioning the new disk you must newfs the slices.

example: newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

See the man pages for newfs.

After newfs than you can add any new mount into the /etc/vfstab file.

You can always mount the new slices to the new mount points
by issuing a manual mount command.

Differences between rdsk and dsk: dsk is a block device and rdsk is a character device.

Thanks Tuka,

I have ran newfs on the slices & looked at the vfstab file.

However - I am still unable to do a ufsdump - I had done this with great success before but not after I rebuilt the machine - ie when I enter the ufsdump comand it looks like it is going o work but then returns the error - DEVICE IS NOT A CHARACTER DEVICE = rdsk & dsk - sorry but can you explain the difference - block / raw - when do I use either? - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 or dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 when doing a ufsdump?

You can't ufsdump from disk to disk, you must do an ufsdump piped to a ufsrestore.

Go to
Look at infodoc 17234 (moving filesystem)for a good example

You will not need a password for SunSolve, this infodoc is a public doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back