Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Definition of Novell Netware???

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezwax78

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
Hi guys I am new to the site and IT/LAN/MIS is the way I want to go. I just wanted to know if any of you guys knew the basic definition of Novell Netware and what is its use and what environment its used in. Thank you very much and appreciate all feedback

There is not enough room on this web site to completly answer your question. You really need to go out, spend 80bucks on a book and get reading.

In a NutShell
NetWare is a network operating system; it allows many computers of different types of OS's to store files on a common storage system to all workstations. Unlike peer-to-peer, the NOS is optimized for speed and data/use managment. Netwares strengths are file & print services, it's weakness is lack of applications (most are written for Windoze). NW3 did pretty much just file & print using IPX only. New version of NetWare use IP, offer many web applications, and is highly recognized in the industry for it robust security features (M$ just has an awsome marketing engine). Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

Thanks Provogeek. I am going to do just that. I just needed a basic stance on what I am going to get myself into

:)

Yes, Novell is a great file and print server but it is also a sinking ship, go Microsoft. Give Billy some more of your money.

If Novell is a sinking ship, jamsqueak, why is it that I keep upgrading my servers with it, and it just keeps running and running and running. I've also (knock on wood) never been taken down by a hacker or a virus. Try that with M$. Microsoft sells ease of use. If you need a good solid core OS for a LAN, then go with Novell. As for a definition, I agree with Provogeek, there's not enough room. I simply say that it's a Network Operating System that functions in the Client/Server mode of networking, as opposed to peer to peer.

Iolair MacWalter, CNE, MCP, SCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back