Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BASIC Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

L00176

Programmer
Jan 6, 2003
CH
Hi all,

I have been dumped with some ancient BASIC source code. Before I spend weeks trying to find out what it does and how to convert it to VB6/VBA does anyone know of any BASIC to VB(A) converters that may be in existence?

Thanks

Andy

Bring Back Command Prompts!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In view of the fundamental differences between an 'in-line' language like classic BASIC and an event-driven language like VB, it seems extremely unlikely that any useful converters exist.

There are still quite a few of us 'old guys' around who can remember BASIC though!

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

I, too, don't know of any such converters. But, if the file has BAS as the extension you can most likely see which sections/lines/syntax VB won't take if you add the file to an empty project. It would show up as a module. Any subs will have to be declared as priv/publ...etc.

Good Luck,
--MiggyD

I used Microsoft Basic since 1.0 back in the late 70's. Publish the code if you can and I will do my best to let you know what it does. Otherwise email to me at synchsys@rcn.com

Good Luck,
synchsys

Folks,

Thanks very much for your responses, we have decided to sit on this for a bit!

Cheers

Andy

Bring Back Command Prompts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back